Wilkinson Sword

Trophy: donated by Wilkinson Sword Ltd in 1979.

Stop Press in the Bulletin No 15, April 1979:

Wilkinson Sword recently advertised that they were going to make available 300 full-size mounted swords for amateur sporting leagues or associations to offer as prizes for club competition, and they were being offered for only ten per cent of the £200 value (excluding post and packing, and VAT).

Out of 3,189 firm applications we have been fortunate enough to secure one which will be competed for on Saturday and Sunday, 23 and 24 June, 1979.  The sword will be engraved “Scottish Croquet Association Inter-Club Championship” and, while the details have still to be worked out, the tournament will be handicap doubles, probably one pair from each club and probably an American tournament with a play-off as a Final.  It is hoped that this can be held at the Edinburgh Croquet Club at their court at Morningside Park.

With any luck we may be able to get a representative of Wilkinson Sword to make the presentation to the winning club.  This trophy has enabled us to have an inter-club competition, which several people have wanted, without in any way spoiling our fairly easy-going friendly matches, so we hope this new competition will get off to a good start with the right sort of weather and plenty of spectators.

Roll of honour:








































































23-24 June, 1979:

Morningside, Edinburgh, now generally recognised as Scotland’s best court, was the scene of the inaugural tournament for the Wilkinson Sword Trophy, the inter-club handicap doubles championship.  The first series of games involve Airthrey and Edinburgh in which Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie made one of his frequent all round breaks.  Otherwise the game contained no surprises.  Since double banked doubles were being played it was perhaps fortunate that the other game started late due to Glasgow’s tardy arrival.  Their game against Alloa had a very exciting ending and was the only game to go to the three-hour time limit.  Bill Spalding was unwise enough to go to peg from hoop 2, leaving Alasdair Adam and Ian Wright cross-wired but with one bisque outstanding.  Alasdair hit in from penultimate and eventually pegged Bill out without using the bisque.  Thereafter Alloa moved on and Ian always stayed about four hoops ahead of Rod Williams until, with about fifteen minutes to go, Alasdair pegged himself out.  In the ensuing two-ball game, Ian was possibly unwise in shooting for Rod on one or two occasions and Rod twice made two hoops in one turn with one ball.  Rod having made 3-back and 4-back in the same turn then missed a roquet on Ian in front of penultimate.  Ian hit the shot with the scores level and ran penultimate, but, failing to get a rush to rover, put Rod’s ball away and took position.  Rod hit it, took off for position for penultimate, ran it, roqueted Ian’s ball near rover, ran rover, but having an awkward shot retired to a corner.  Ian failed to hit the shot and Glasgow won +1 on time.

In the second series Edinburgh played Alloa with Ian Wright still not in form.  Ian, after a number of early errors, recovered to reach penultimate which he appeared to be about to run as hoop six until restrained by his partner.  Bernard Gallivan by this time had reached rover and shortly afterwards Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie made a good break from hoop 2 to peel and peg out his partner and finish the game.  The other game in the second series, Auchincruive versus Airthrey produced no surprises.  The final game of the day between Glasgow and Auchincruive was memorable only for a break by Rod Williams from hoop 2 to the peg.  Bill Spalding appeared to have lost his form.

Play continued on Sunday and was both eventful and memorable.  Airthrey shocked both their opponents by producing brilliant play with well taken bisques.  In the first game, Alloa, playing Airthrey, failed to hit any real roquets and were beaten by 23, the largest margin of the tournament.  At the same time Edinburgh were beating Auchincruive by 21.  Bernard took his ball round and when Ewen got his first chance he went on an all round break including the rover peel and peg out.

The afternoon series produced the real shock when Airthrey overwhelmed Glasgow after Rod Williams had gone to rover.  Peter Rowlinson used three bisques to go to rover and then Allan Hamilton took two more to reach rover, using the half bisque to set up the rover peel and the final bisque to complete the peel and peg out.  The game was all over in seventy-five minutes.  In the other afternoon game, Alloa were well beaten by Auchincruive without any scintillating play.  

Ian Wright, managing the event, had anticipated that the crucial match would be between Edinburgh and Glasgow and had arranged for this to be the last game.  The game was still crucial, but Glasgow, having lost one game, had to win by at least 23 points to claim the trophy.  The game could have started at three o’clock due to the early finish of the Glasgow/Airthrey game but the Edinburgh players were not to hand having been informed that they would not be needed until about four o’clock.  Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie sealed the trophy for Edinburgh in his second turn when he took an all round break to rover.  Then Bill Spalding went to the peg including a brilliant half-jump at rover with which he also peeled Ewen’s ball.  He was unlucky to fail at the peg out.  After Ewen hit in but failed to peg out Bill’s ball, Bill attempted to join up with his partner’s ball on the boundary but hit the peg on the way leaving his ball lying near it.  After the momentary shock of thinking he had pegged himself out and the realisation that in a handicap game this was not so, he was immediately pegged out by Ewen.  In the ensuing three-ball game, Rod Williams with the single ball played brilliantly despite his opponents’ efforts at wiring, and hit in to take a break to 4-back.  Bernard Gallivan got the innings but broke down at hoop 5 for Rod to hit in again, pick up the break and win +9.  It was a memorable game to end a memorable event.

The competition was considered a great success and gives purpose to the annual friendly matches between the Scottish Clubs.

21-22 July, 1980, Edinburgh:

The Edinburgh Club, which won the Wilkinson Sword Trophy on its first being presented last year, was determined to retain it.  Unfortunately, due to unavailability, the Edinburgh pair selected was slightly weaker on paper than might have been hoped.  Stuart Malin and Bob Calder however, reckoned that they might make a good partnership and at least put up a good show against any opposition.

With five clubs in contention, an American tournament fits nicely into a weekend with morning, afternoon and evening sessions on Saturday and two sessions on Sunday giving a total of ten games with each club playing four.  Everyone of course looks carefully at the results after the last Saturday session to see what is required the following day.  The position was that Airthrey had played two games and lost both, Bush were in an identical situation, Dollar had played two games winning one but losing to Glasgow, Edinburgh had won all three games which they had played while Glasgow having played three games had lost only to Edinburgh.

The Edinburgh pair realised that all they had to do to retain the Sword was to beat Dollar in their Sunday morning game.  Stuart Malin, playing more confidently than on Saturday, quickly went to 4-back while Bob Calder, having lost completely his previous day’s form, got stuck at hoop 3 where his clip remained for most of the rest of the game.  There was a little more action during which Edinburgh scored a few more hoops, but Dollar failed to make the most of their chances and were unable to finish the game before time was called but won by seven points.

Edinburgh had now played all their games and knew they had three wins and 22 net points.  Dollar with one game to play had to beat Bush by 25 to equal Edinburgh’s score.  As they were giving away a handful of bisques this seemed rather a tall order and in fact Dollar won by 15.  Everything now hinged on the game between Glasgow and Airthrey.  Glasgow had been beaten once but had 20 net points, so a win by more than two points would give them the trophy.  But Airthrey had not yet had a win and were determined to go all out for victory.

In a tense finish played in heavy rain, Glasgow were on penultimate and 4-back being two points ahead with 30 minutes remaining, but Airthrey still had two bisques standing.  They used them well, Glasgow’s shooting perhaps lost its edge, and Airthrey won by +2 on time to leave Edinburgh the winners of the Sword.

13 – 14 June, 1981, Edinburgh Morningside:

Since only four clubs were competing, Bob Calder, acting as manager, decided that initial time limits would not be imposed on the games.  This led to some lengthy struggles during one of which, after over three hours play, the manager was heard to mutter ‘There has not been a point scored for over ten minutes; if it goes on much longer like this I’ll put a one hour time limit on it.’  As it happened, the game speeded up and no time limits were applied.

Edinburgh, having won the Sword in both of the first two competitions, were determined to retain it for a third time.  The absence of time limits led to some tense finishes and Edinburgh were involved in two pegged out games.  In the first game of the tournament, Edinburgh against Dollar, Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie went to the peg leaving Bernard Gallivan on rover.  Alasdair Adam, obtaining the innings, decided that Ewen must be pegged out.  He completed the break through rover, but then failed in the peg out.  An interesting duel then ensued, several peg outs being missed by both players.  Eventually Ewen was the successful pegger-out and although Margaret Lauder scored several points while an out of form Bernard Gallivan missed shots, Edinburgh ran out the narrow winners by three points.

Having lost to Glasgow on Saturday afternoon, Edinburgh knew that their only chance of retaining the Shield was to beat Bush on Sunday morning.  Allan Ramsay having gone to the peg was duly pegged out by Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie leaving George Anderson on 3-back with two bisques in hand.  Although one of the bisques went for nothing, George showed great composure for a comparative beginner and managed to scrape a two-point victory.

Bush, having beaten Dollar decisively on Saturday afternoon, now had two wins to their credit, while Glasgow, their opponents in the last game of the tournament, had defeated Dollar but lost to Edinburgh.  If Bush could beat Glasgow the Sword would be theirs with an unbeaten record.  For Glasgow to win the trophy a victory in the last game would not be enough; they needed to win by at least four points.  What could be more dramatic as the players took the court for the final session?

Rod Williams and Bill Spalding had been, up to now, playing in a somewhat erratic fashion, but, giving bisques in all their games, had shown more tactical skill that any other pair.  Everyone wondered how they would get on with the largest handicap difference of the tournament against them.  Eleven bisques is a lot to give away against a pair who had been playing as well as George Anderson and Allan Ramsay and who had shown earlier that they knew better than many high bisquers how to use their bisques to their best advantage.  Glasgow were giving no chances of a break being easily set up by their opponents, but Bush managed on several occasions to construct something from nothing by the judicial use of two bisques.  Unfortunately for the Bush pair, their level of performance dropped from what we had seen in their two earlier games, and they soon found it necessary to use bisques defensively without many points being scored.  Although the Glasgow pair did not go out in one break each, their superior break playing and tactical skill proved too much for the few mistakes made by Bush, and so Rod Williams and Bill Spalding take the Sword from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

A feature of the Wilkinson Sword Trophy tournament over its first three years has been that the last game of the tournament has been decisive in determining the result – may this long continue.

5 June 1982, Edinburgh

The Wilkinson Sword tournament was played on 5 June using the three Edinburgh lawns.  The weather was fine and the tournament thoroughly enjoyed.  Airthrey, Bush, Edinburgh, Dollar and Glasgow clubs entered playing handicap doubles as usual.  By chance, Dollar (Alasdair Adam and Bob Maclean) and Bush (Alistair Hunter and Allan Ramsay) had each won their three games when they came to play each other.  Allan used his bisques more quickly than usual, and when approaching time, Bob hit in, scored penultimate, and left Alasdair lined up to score 3-back.  Bush missed but joined up near corner one.  Alasdair scored 3-back and went to the two Bush balls in order to rush one of them to 4-back.  The rush was about four yards short of the hoop and time was called with Dollar still one point behind.  Alasdair took off fine to line up and score 4-back to level the score.  He shot at the ball he had left near 4-back, missed, but stopped near Bob’s ball near 3-back.  The game was then sudden death; Bush shot at their ball near corner one, missed but left the two balls together.  Bob roqueted Alasdair’s ball, went to the two in corner one, rushed one to rover and scored the hoop to give Dollar the Sword by one point after time.

The Wilkinson Sword has been shared around since its start, being won by Edinburgh twice, Glasgow, and now Dollar.  As a handicap trophy, it should move around, and perhaps Bush can win it next time – they were mighty close this time.

21 May 1983, Edinburgh:

The tournament was played at Edinburgh, Morningside having been lost to the club.  Because of the low entry of three clubs, manager Ian Wright persuaded Jack Norton to enter a team from the Incorrigibles club, to give three full rounds of play.  Jack partnered Allan Ramsay (10), while Edinburgh fielded Nick Hyne and Bernard Gallivan (8), Glasgow Bill Spalding and Corla van Griethuysen (12½) and Dollar Alasdair Adam and James Marshall (18½). 

In the first round Alasdair played his shepherding style of doubles croquet, while Bernard was very off form for Edinburgh, so Dollar won comfortably, albeit on time.  Incorrigibles beat Glasgow by a narrow margin on time.  In the second round Dollar were easy victors over Glasgow while again Incorrigibles struggled to a close timed win over Edinburgh.  In the final round Alasdair’s shepherding was successful until he missed a four-foot roquet, which was enough to give Incorrigibles their third close victory, to put a new name onto the Sword.


No report has been found.  Nick Hyne and Mary Fotheringham (Edinburgh) beat Corla van Griethuysen and Allan Ramsay (Incorrigibles) in the final.

23 June 1985, Edinburgh:

This year there were four clubs that entered the SCA’s Inter-Club Championship, the Wilkinson Sword Trophy.  Two were from the Edinburgh area, Edinburgh CC and Bush CC, and two were Glasgow based, Glasgow CC and Incorrigibles CC.  Although sad that entries were down, it meant that only two rounds were needed and unpopular time limits could be dispensed with.  The event was played at Lauriston Castle, double banked on the greatly improved Number 1 court.

Both first round games turned out to be East-West engagements.  The court gave the impression of being slower than it really was and at the start several players paid the penalty for over-enthusiastic take-offs.  In the game between Glasgow and Bush, no-one made any big breaks to start with, but Bush built up a good lead until Rod Williams made the only reasonable break of the game taking his ball from hoop 1 to 1-back.  But the Glasgow challenge was not maintained and Bush won +15.

In the other first round match, Jack Norton and Allan Ramsay soon started scoring, but the Edinburgh pair, Ian Wright and Mary Fotheringham, found it a struggle to get through any hoops at all.  When the Incorrigibles pair were both nearing rover Ian started to use the five bisques.  Then when Jack was on rover, Allan went to the peg, so Ian followed him and pegged him out. 

At this point Mary still had to score hoop 3, so Ian put Jack’s ball near hoop 1, and retreated behind hoop 3, leaving one ball just not wired.  Jack Norton, noted for his fine shooting, just missed the 30-yard shot by an inch, and for the next 45 minutes the spectators enjoyed a fine display of the pegged-out game.  Mary scored hoop 3 and Ian directed the balls to a wired position just beyond that hoop.  Jack put his ball near hoop 4, and Ian rushed their two to hide behind hoop 6.  Jack shot at the half ball he could see, and just missed, so Ian gave Mary a wired rush behind hoop 4.  Jack went to the end of A-baulk to threaten Mary’s attempt to run the hoop, but she scored it, and also hoop 5, and then hid behind hoop 6.  And so the game progressed, with Mary slowly adding to her score, and putting the balls exactly where Ian asked her to.  If Jack did take position at rover, he was removed and left a long shot at only one ball, just not wired.  At all other times he was left with nothing visible to shoot at, or only part of a ball behind a hoop, which he never missed by more than three inches.

At last the Edinburgh pair made the mistake Jack had been waiting for.  After Mary scored 3-back, he was left one ball fully exposed, which he hit from 15 yards.  One easy rush to rover and the game was quickly won for Incorrigibles.

The Final between Bush and Incorrigibles was the third East-West encounter of the day.  This turned out to be a long drawn out struggle, with the Incorrigibles keeping ahead of Bush until they finally won by 9 points, putting their name on the Sword for the second time in three years.


No report has been found.  Winners: Edinburgh.

30th May 1987, Glasgow:

On a grey Saturday morning, four teams assembled in Glasgow to compete for this trophy – Edinburgh, Airthrey, Incorrigibles and Glasgow.  The first matches saw Glasgow play Airthrey and Edinburgh play Incorrigibles.  In Glasgow’s match both David Warhurst and John Surgenor were in very good form.  In the first hour both players were at penultimate with Alan Hamilton and Peter Rowlinson wondering what they were up against.  The final outcome was a win for Glasgow +22 (Airthrey seemed short of match practice).  The other match was between Fred Mann and Mary Fotheringham for Edinburgh and Jack Norton and Allan Ramsay for Incorrigibles.  Both Allan and Jack found it difficult to get going, Jack scoring seven hoops, all in singles, and Alan only managing three.  Fred and Mary won in the end by 11, with Fred finishing after time had been called.

After lunch, Fred and Mary for Edinburgh took on John and David for Glasgow, but this was a different David – no more confidence.  With time running out fast, John on hoop 6 and David in hoop 3, John manage a break to peel and peg Fred out, leaving Mary to score three points to win.  David managed to keep Mary from scoring until he stuck in 2-back; Mary scored penult.  Then when David was on rover, he tried to wire his balls from Mary, but failed; Mary hit in to win by three points.  Airthrey played better in the second match, but still lost to Incorrigibles by 12.

The final round saw another close game.  Incorrigibles, playing Glasgow, were in well in command until David, making amends for his poor showing in the second round, pegged out Allan, leaving Jack to play a single ball game but needing only to score rover.  John on the other hand had to score seven points; he managed this with some controlled hoop-running in a few turns, to win by two points. 

With Glasgow’s only chance of winning the trophy lying in Airthrey’s hands, they were pleasantly surprised to see Airthrey in the lead against Edinburgh when they went to view the last hour of this game.  But Mary had other ideas.  She held the partnership together and managed to get Fred through hoop 3 with about thirty minutes to go.  With this psychological barrier behind him, Fred managed to get to 3-back, and with another few hoops from Mary, Edinburgh managed to win +6T.  So Edinburgh retained the trophy, although with a new partnership.

28 – 29 May, 1988:

Four teams contested the trophy:  Edinburgh (Martin Gill & Mary Fotheringham, 20), Bush (George Anderson & Ralph Pirrie, 15), Dunfermline Carnegie (Fred Mann & Nigel Gardner, 20½) and Glasgow (Rod Williams & Corla van Griethuysen, 4½).  The first matches paired Bush v Dunfermline Carnegie and Edinburgh v Glasgow on a warm sunny day.

In Bush’s match George had to hold the side together, Ralph being in a rather tentative mood; nevertheless they struggled round to a +7T win against Fred and Nigel.  Edinburgh’s match against Glasgow was a much livelier affair.  Edinburgh used their bisques well to develop a big lead, reaching penult and rover, Glasgow sitting on hoop 2.  Martin’s ten hoop break allowed Corla plenty of time for her knitting while Rod was left to ponder a handicap change for him.  A lapse in Edinburgh’s play allowed Rod to play in and go round to rover, but all too late – Edinburgh ran out winners +11.

The second round match between Edinburgh and Dunfermline Carnegie saw Edinburgh develop a lead, keeping Fred and Nigel on hoop 4 for a long period.  Martin brought his own support along, several members of the Gill family enjoying an entertaining afternoon.  Edinburgh’s fortunes changed however, when Fred and Nigel managed to take the initiative and play round to win +12.  ‘Who said croquet wasn’t exciting?’, a member of the Gill family was heard to say.  The Bush team managed an improved performance against Glasgow.  An excellent break of eight hoops by George came to an end when he stuck in 3-back, allowing Rod in for an even better one of nine hoops. Corla, who hadn’t played much this season, was kept in check at hoop 4.  Ralph used his team’s two bisques to help himself round, and George supplied the finishing touches for a +9 win.

The weather on the Sunday was cloudy with a couple of heavy showers.  Bush looked firm favourites with two wins and +16 net points, Edinburgh had one win and +5, Dunfermline 1 win and -1 and Glasgow were trailing with no wins and -20.

The Glasgow v Dunfermline Carnegie game saw a better performance from Rod and Corla.  Fred progressed to 4-back followed by Rod who tried to triple peel and peg Fred out but took two turns to achieve it.  Nigel was left with too difficult a task but distinguished himself with some marvellous roll shots.  Glasgow won +4.  Bush v Edinburgh saw a sparkling display by Martin Gill who needed one bisque to score a ten hoop break.  Ralph did not help Bush’s cause by missing several easy targets.  Martin was full of confidence, and Mary Fotheringham was also playing better today.  Edinburgh, keeping play away from George Anderson, used their bisques intelligently, and won by +15.

With two wins each, there was a play off between Bush and Edinburgh to decide first place; this was a shortened game of 14 points, Edinburgh receiving 2½ bisques.  Ralph hit George on the third turn and set him up a rush to hoop 1.  George played a marvellous break, digging out balls from boundaries, to score five hoops and lay up at hoop 1 for partner, cleverly leaving Martin the more likely to play, hoping for bisque extraction.  With this safety net in mind, Martin hit in.  Without the aid of bisques, Martin produced an excellent break.  He ran hoop 2 following an approach from the second corner.  After running hoop 3 it was clear that he would attempt to peel George through rover and peg him out – this he did leaving a ‘mountain’ of 2½ bisques for his partner.  Mary, now playing with confidence, was almost apologetic about her accuracy of hoop approaches.

However, all was not lost for Bush when Ralph hit a double target and managed to smash his way through hoop 1; he followed this with a good roquet but failed hoop 2.  Edinburgh now moved in for the kill, but twice Ralph hit in on long targets, and could have won the game for Bush, but a missed cut rush at hoop 4 sealed their fate.  Edinburgh won +4.

Edinburgh thoroughly deserved to win the Wilkinson Sword, and Martin’s handicap was reduced from 11 to 8.

27 – 28 May, 1989:

(Report by Corla van Griethuysen)

This year’s Wilkinson Sword was played at Glasgow Green in ideal conditions with beautiful sunny weather.  It was very interesting that most clubs had a doubles combination of a low handicap with a high handicap this year.  There were five clubs competing.  Glasgow had the strongest combination with John Surgenor and a rapidly improving Colin Rogers.  They won two matches well before time, but two clubs managed to keep Glasgow on their toes and took them to time.  These were Bush (George Anderson and Mike Ranshaw) who lost to Glasgow by -12T and Dunfermline Carnegie (Nigel Gardner and not Fred Mann but Corla van Griethuysen (a country member!?) who lost by -4T. 

Piersland had the most bisques and Roger Hissett, playing very well, piloted Jim Cooper, a newcomer to croquet, very skilfully round the course.  Edinburgh, last year’s winner, had the same team (Martin Gill and Mary Fotheringham) to defend the Wilkinson Sword; unfortunately this year the team had difficulty in getting going.

All in all, the matches were very tight, and 8 out of 10 went to time, with two being sudden death.  Only Glasgow had four wins; Bush, Dunfermline Carnegie and Piersland had two wins; surprisingly Edinburgh collected no wins. 


No report has been found.  Glasgow (John Surgenor & Colin Rogers) won, beating Edinburgh and Bush.


No report has been found.  Winners: Edinburgh.


No report has been found.  Winners: Glasgow.


No report has been found.  Winners: Glasgow.


Not a huge entry for the Inter-Club Doubles this year – why not?  The only game involved Rod Williams and Dave McLaughlin (Glasgow) in a fairly fruitless visit to Bush to lose by 24 points to Colin Dinwoodie and Tony Brightman.  Unfortunately the Bulletin editors cannot tell from the score whether one of the visitors made two hoops or whether they made one hoop each; indeed they could both have been peeled through hoop 1 – we may never know.


No report has been found.  Winners: Glasgow.


No report has been found.  Winners: Auchincruive.


No report has been found.  Winners: Edinburgh.

24 May, 1998 at Bush:

(Report by Stella McCraw)

My husband was impressed when I announced I was in the semi-final of this prestigious event: that is until he realised it was also the first round.  The pairings, representing Auchincruive (Dave Arnot and Rob Close, 24), Bush (George Anderson and Jamieson Walker, 16), Dunfermline (Nigel Gardner and Brian Smith, 23) and Edinburgh (Stella McCraw and John Seddon, 31) all gathered on the lawns at Bush at the appointed hour of 9:30 a.m. on Sunday 24 May on what proved to be a wonderful sunny day in contradiction of the weather forecast.

George Anderson as event manager emerged from the hut and directed Auchincruive and Edinburgh to lawn 1 and Bush and Dunfermline to lawn 2.  Having been fully absorbed in the game on lawn 1, I am afraid I can do little more than report the result of the lawn 2 match – namely, Bush +20 within the three and a half hour time limit.  Lawn 1’s game was not vintage croquet, and apart from a stylish eight hoop break by Dave Arnot, including a very bravely run fourth hoop, the play was notable for its strong sense of risk management, finishing with Edinburgh winning +1 on time.

Jamieson Walker inevitably had time during his match to visit lawn 1 and remark on the remaining bisques; Dave advised that Edinburgh were husbanding them, which led to a debate as to whether this was a sexist or agricultural remark.  Rob Close decided the issue by stating that the two are synonymous.

First blood of the final went to Jamieson running hoop 1 appropriately enough with the red ball.  His clip then took up residence on the top of hoop 2 for the next two hours whilst George executed a useful break.  I was intrigued to witness Jamieson as the junior partner of a pairing.  Deference to George on one occasion elicited the response ‘There’ll be no recriminations – if you do the right thing.’

Having got a break started I was glad of a bisque or two to keep it going, and John Seddon after playing the early season on the meadow at Lauriston adapted admirably to the slick surface at Bush.

Jamieson finally swung into action and as the three and a half hour time limit expired it was all equal.  In the extension period he scored penult resulting in three clips on rover and one on penult.  A valiant attempt at yet another long hit in failed and so Bush won +1 on time.  Another close shave – although it has been noted that the winning team do not appear to use the sponsor’s product, or at least in Jamieson’s case, not assiduously.


No report has been found.  Winners: Bush.

24 June, 2000 at Glasgow:

(Report by John Surgenor)

The Wilkinson Sword was played at Glasgow on June 24th.  Teams represented were:

Bush: Jamieson Walker and Brian Murdoch

Edinburgh: Brian Durward and Stella McCraw

Glasgow: John Surgenor & Robert Macdonald

Powfoulis / Kinross: Alan Wilson and Brian Smith

The event was played as a block.  (The report in Bulletin No. 70, October 2000, contains some game scores, but they do not make sense, in that rounds two and three show the same fixtures, and Bush were the only team to ‘win’ three games, yet Edinburgh won the trophy).

The final match between Glasgow and Edinburgh turned out to be quite a struggle.  Brian and Stella couldn’t miss and were strolling to victory when Stella stuck in rover; John, knocking her out of rover, went round from hoop 2 peeling Brian through rover and pegging him out of the game.  This turned the game slightly in John and Robert’s favour, but Stella was still shooting well, and with Robert only at hoop 4, she got quite a few chances.  Robert managed to creep round to hoop 6; Stella hit in for the third time and managed to score rover but missed the return roquet.  Robert managed another two hoops before Stella finally hit the peg at her fourth attempt.

Edinburgh was presented with the stand-in mallet as no trophy was present.  At this point we cleared up after a very pleasant day and adjourned to the Tap (local across the road).

16 June, 2001 at Kelvingrove:

(Report by John Surgenor)

The Wilkinson Sword took place with only three teams:

Glasgow – John Surgenor and Duncan Reeves (9½)

Edinburgh – Brian Durward and Sheila Crearie (20½)

Bush – Adrian Trickey and Jamieson Walker (12½)

In the first game Sheila wasted a few of her bisques at the start of the match, but then settled down and took her ball round with expert advice from her partner.  With the bisques gone the game took another slant and Glasgow came back into the match.  The end game was Sheila and Duncan at penult, John at 4-back and Brian at 3-back.  John had the innings and was positioned in corner III giving Duncan a rush to penult.  Brian hit in from southwest of 3-back, scored all his points doing a straight double peel, but missed the peg out.  He made the mistake of pegging out his own ball thinking the game was over – it wasn’t.  John hit in and after a few turns Glasgow took the match +1.

Game two saw Bush take on Edinburgh – fewer bisques for Sheila this time but she didn’t care.  She was set up by Brian in corner I.  The opposition took a wide join on the east boundary.  She scored hoop 1, then tried an extravagant drive but her back ball failed to travel far enough – unperturbed she fired at the opposition and took a bisque.  Her next bisque came at hoop 3, then Brian had to stop her at rover so that he could get a turn.  Well done Sheila – say goodbye to Aunt Emma and keep practising these breaks.  Needless to say, with the innings and two bisques left Brian finished in record time for handicap doubles (?), 56 minutes, +26.

With the points total standing as they were, Bush could not win the event but they could affect the result.  The last game was a bit one sided as well and Bush won +24.  It was nice to see that the Bush Club were taking the competition seriously and were bringing in (ringers) assistance from far afield, i.e. Wales.  Adrian Trickey has just moved from Cardiff and has taken up a post in the Festival Office.

Congratulations to Edinburgh who retain the trophy on points.

3 August, 2002 at Kelvingrove:

Three teams contested the Wilkinson Sword:

Maria Limonci (14) and Geoff Caldwell (6) for Edinburgh

Steve Barnett (7) and Brian Durward (4½) for Glasgow

Chris Dent (-½) and Charlotte Townsend (4½) for Meadows

In game 1, Maria and Geoff beat Steve and Brian +3.  In game 2, Steve and Brian beat Chris and Charlotte +25.  In game 3, Chris and Charlotte beat Maria and Geoff +9.

Since we all beat each other, the competition was decided on points and Steve and Brian took the Sword for Glasgow.


This report is already on the website.


No report has been found.  Winners: Meadows.


No report has been found.  Winners: Glasgow.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


No report has been found.




1979:     Edinburgh (Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie & Bernard Gallivan, 8½) 3 wins, +33 net points, beat Airthrey +10, Alloa +11, Auchincruive +21
Glasgow (Rod Williams & Bill Spalding, 5½) 3 wins, +3 pts, beat Alloa +1T, Auchincruive +8, Edinburgh +9
Airthrey (Peter Rowlinson & Allan Hamilton, 18) 2 wins, +17 pts, beat Alloa +23, Glasgow +15
Auchincruive (Malcolm Smith & Adrian Williams, 17) 2 wins, -9 pts, beat Airthrey +11, Alloa +9
Alloa (Ian Wright & Alasdair Adam, 9) 0 wins

1980:    Edinburgh (Stuart Malin & Robert Calder) 3 wins, +22 net points, beat Airthrey +10, Bush +5, Glasgow +14
Dollar 3 wins, +12 pts, beat Airthrey +12, Bush +15, Edinburgh +7T
Glasgow 2 wins, beat Bush +12, Dollar +12
Airthrey 1 win, beat Glasgow +2T
Bush 1 win, beat Airthrey +7T

1981:     Glasgow (Rod Williams & Bill Spalding, 4½) 2 wins, +23 net points, beat Edinburgh +16, Glasgow +14
Bush (Geo Anderson & Allan Ramsay, 26) 2 wins, +3 pts, beat Dollar +15, Edinburgh +2
Dollar (Mrs Margaret Lauder & Alasdair Adam, 14) 1 win, -11 pts, beat Glasgow +7
Edinburgh (Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie & Bernard Gallivan, 8) 1 win, -15 pts, beat Dollar +3

1982:    Dollar (Alasdair Adam & Bob Maclean, 8½) 4 wins, beat Airthrey +11T, Edinburgh +12, Glasgow +16, Bush +1T
Bush (Alistair Hunter & Allan Ramsay, 21) 3 wins, beat Airthrey +13T, Edinburgh +21, Glasgow +5T
Glasgow (1½) 2 wins, beat Airthrey +15T, Edinburgh +10
Airthrey (16) 1 win, beat Edinburgh +8
Edinburgh (9½) 0 wins

1983:    Incorrigibles (Jack Norton & Allan Ramsay, 10) 3 wins, beat Glasgow +2T, Edinburgh +7, Dollar +1T
Dollar (Alasdair Adam & James Marshall, 18½) 2 wins, beat Edinburgh +7, Glasgow +15
Edinburgh (Nick Hyne & Bernard Gallivan, 8) 1 win, beat Glasgow +3T
Glasgow (Bill Spalding & Corla van Griethuysen, 12½) 0 wins

1984:    Only details found
Edinburgh (Nick Hyne & Mary Fotheringham) beat Incorrigibles (Corla van Griethuysen & Allan Ramsay)

1985:     Round 1:
Bush (11½) beat Glasgow (8) +15
Incorrigibles (Jack Norton & Allan Ramsay, 8) beat Edinburgh (Ian Wright & Mary Fotheringham, 13) +5
Incorrigibles beat Bush +9
Third place:
Glasgow beat Edinburgh +8

1986:    No records have been found
winners: Edinburgh

1987:     Edinburgh (Fred Mann & Mary Fotheringham, 17) 3 wins, beat Incorrigibles +11T, Glasgow +3, Airthrey +6T
Glasgow (David Warhurst & John Surgenor, 8) 2 wins, beat Airthrey +22, Incorrigibles +2
Incorrigibles (Jack Norton & Allan Ramsay, 10) 1 win, beat Airthrey +12
Airthrey (Alan Hamilton & Peter Rowlinson) 0 wins

1988:    Edinburgh (Martin Gill & Mary Fotheringham, 20) 2 wins, beat Bush +15, Glasgow +11
Bush (George Anderson & Ralph Pirrie, 15) 2 wins, beat Dunfermline Carnegie +7T, Glasgow +9
Dunfermline Carnegie (Fred Mann & Nigel Gardner, 20½) 1 win, beat Edinburgh +12
Glasgow (Rod Williams & Corla van Griethuysen, 4½) 1 win, beat Dunfermline Carnegie +4
Final (14-pt game, Edinburgh receiving 2½ bisques):
Edinburgh beat Bush +4

1989:    Glasgow (John Surgenor & Colin Rogers) 4 wins, beat Bush +12T, Dunfermline Carnegie +4T, Piersland, Edinburgh
Bush (George Anderson & Mike Ranshaw) 2 wins
Dunfermline Carnegie (Nigel Gardner & Corla van Griethuysen) 2 wins
Piersland (Roger Hissett & Jim Cooper) 2 wins
Edinburgh (Martin Gill & Mary Fotheringham) 0 wins

1990:    Glasgow (John Surgenor & Colin Rogers) 2 wins, beat Edinburgh, Bush

1991:     No records have been found
Winners: Edinburgh

1992:     No records have been found
Winners: Glasgow

1993:     No records have been found
Winners: Glasgow

1994:     Bush (Colin Dinwoodie & Tony Brightman) beat Glasgow (Rod Williams & Dave McLaughlin) +24

1995:     No records have been found
Winners: Glasgow

1996:     No records have been found
Winners: Auchincruive

1997:     winners: Edinburgh (Brian Durward & John Seddon)
runners-up: Auchincruive (Dave Arnot & Geoff Caldwell)

1998:    Bush (George Anderson & Jamieson Walker, 16) beat Dunfermline (Nigel Gardner & Brian Smith, 23) +20
Edinburgh (Stella McCraw & John Seddon, 31) beat Auchincruive (Dave Arnot & Rob Close, 24) +1T
Bush beat Edinburgh +1T

1999:     winners: Edinburgh (Geoff Caldwell & John Seddon)
runners-up: Glasgow (John Surgenor & Robert Macdonald)

2000:   winners: Edinburgh (Brian Durward & Stella McCraw)
runners-up: Glasgow (John Surgenor & Robert Macdonald)

2001:    Glasgow (John Surgenor & Duncan Reeves) beat Edinburgh +1
Edinburgh (Brian Durward & Sheila Crearie) beat Bush +26
Bush (Adrian Trickey & Jamieson Walker) beat Glasgow +24
winners: Edinburgh (on points)
runners-up: Bush

2002:    Edinburgh (Geoff Caldwell & Maria Limonci) beat Glasgow +3
Glasgow (Brian Durward & Steve Barnett) beat Meadows +25
Meadows (Chris Dent & Charlotte Townsend) beat Edinburgh +9
winners: Glasgow (on points)
runners-up: Edinburgh

2003:    winners:
Edinburgh (Geoff Caldwell (6) & Maria Limonci (14)) beat Glasgow -3, +2, +18
Glasgow (Brian Durward (4.5) & Steve Barnett (7))

2004:    winners:
Meadows (Jamieson Walker (8) & Alan Wilson (8)) beat Edinburgh +12T (24-12), Glasgow +9
joint runners-up:
Edinburgh (Geoff Caldwell (6) & Maria Limonci (14))
Glasgow (Brian Durward (4.5) & Robert Lay (12))

2005:    winners: Glasgow (Duncan Reeves & Joe Lennon)
runners-up: Meadows (George Anderson & Jamieson Walker)

2006:    winners:
Glasgow (Steve Barnett (7) & Robert Lay (11)) 2 wins, beat Meadows +7T (22-15), Edinburgh +2T (21-19)
Meadows (George Anderson (6) & Jamieson Walker (7)) 1 win, beat Edinburgh +8T (23-15)
Edinburgh (Geoff Caldwell (6) & Maria Limonci (14)) 0 wins

2007:     winners:
Edinburgh (Campbell Morrison (6) and Allan Hawke (7)) beat Glasgow +2T
Glasgow (Robert Lay (11) & Duncan Reeves (16))

2008:     winners:
Edinburgh (Fergus McInnes (3.5) & Allan Hawke (6)) 2 wins, beat Meadows +2, Glasgow +12
Glasgow (Bill Spalding (4.5) & Robert Lay (16)) 1 win, beat Meadows +12
Meadows (Jamieson Walker (9) & Jola Jurasinska (20)) 0 wins

2009:     winners:
Meadows (Jamieson Walker & Jola Jurasinska) 2 wins, beat Meadows +17, Glasgow +3T (22-19)
Edinburgh (Fergus McInnes & Allan Hawke) 1 win, beat Glasgow +5
Glasgow (Bill Spalding & Robert Lay) 0 wins

2010:     winners:
Meadows (Jamieson Walker (8) & Jola Jurasinska (16)) 2 wins, beat Edinburgh +18, Glasgow +17
Edinburgh (Fergus McInnes (4) & Allan Hawke (7)) 1 win, beat Glasgow +8
Glasgow (Bill Spalding (4) & Robert Lay (11)) 0 wins

2011:     winners (on net points after three-way tie):
Meadows (Jamieson Walker (10) & Jola Jurasinska (16)) 1 win, +17 net points, beat Edinburgh +19
Edinburgh (Fergus McInnes (4) & Allan Hawke (7)) 1 win, -2 net points, beat Glasgow +17
Glasgow (Bill Spalding (3) and Richard Sparrow (18)) 1 win, -15 net points, beat Meadows +2T (19-17)

2012:     no results have been found