CA Match

Trophy:  A Pewter Quaich donated by the Sports Council of Glasgow

The Scottish Croquet Association started to meet a team from the Croquet Association (England) in 1975.  From 1980, with the introduction of the Home Internationals, this was definitely an SCA team, whereas for the first few years it was “Scotland v England Select”.  Up to 2006, the scores reflect the number of best-of-three matches; from 2007 the scores reflect the number of games played. The current match score is SCA 15, CA 20, Drawn 1.

Match scores:






at Gleneagles






at Gleneagles






at Cheltenham


not played






at Nottingham






at Edinburgh






at Nottingham




at Glasgow






at East Riding




at Glasgow




at Wrest Park


not played




at Glasgow






at Wrest Park




at Bush




at Bowdon




at Bush




at East Riding






at Glasgow




at East Riding




at Bush






at Bush




at Bowdon




at Bowdon






at Glasgow




at Southport




at Glasgow






at Crake Valley






at Meadows West






at Crake Valley






at Meadows West




at Crake Valley






at Meadows West






at Crake Valley






at Meadows West






at Middlesbrough






at Meadows West






at Middlesbrough


The following fifty-one have played in matches against the CA:

Alasdair Adam

CA 83 85

George Anderson

CA 87 88 89

David Appleton

CA 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 99 00 06

Tony Brightman

CA 95 03

Andy Campbell

CA 92 95 96 97 98

Chris Dent

CA 03 05 07

Colin Dinwoodie

CA 93 95

Hamish Duguid

CA 11 12

Brian Durward

CA 98 00 01 02

Tony Foster

CA 03 04 05

Nigel Gardner

CA 03

Martin Gill

CA 88 89 90 92

Allan Hawke

CA 09

Michael Heap

CA 75 76 77 80

Gordon Hopewell

CA 97 99 00

James Hopgood

CA 07 08 09 10

William Stuart Kilpatrick

CA 83

Jonathan Kirby

CA 00 01

Derek Knight

CA 12

Margaret Lauder

CA 81

Joe Lennon

CA 12

David Magee

CA 06

Fergus McInnes

CA 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12

Stuart McKendrick

CA 01

Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie

CA 79 81 83 84 85

Bob Maclean

CA 75 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 87

Stuart Malin

CA 80 82

Fred Mann

CA 94

Campbell Morrison

CA 03 09 11

Brian Murdoch

CA 96 97 98 00 03 04 05 06 08 10 11 12

David Nichols

CA 75 76 80

Jack Norton

CA 75 77

Malcolm O’Connell

CA 90 91 92 93 96 97 98 99 01 02

Bruce Rannie

CA 04 06 07 08

Mike Ranshaw

CA 92 94

Colin Rogers

CA 90 91

Carol Rowe

CA 82 83

Malcolm Smith

CA 89

Bill Spalding

CA 81 83 84 85 05 08 09 10

Su Stenhouse

CA 98 02

Martin Stephenson

CA 10 11

Geoff Strutt

CA 82 84

John Surgenor

CA 85 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 02 04

Charlotte Townsend

CA 96 97 99 01 02 05

Corla van Griethuysen

CA 87 88 89 90 91 93

Jamieson Walker

CA 00 05 07 09

David Warhurst

CA 87 94

Rod Williams

CA 76 77 81 84 85 87 88 91 93 94 95 96 99 01 02 04 05 07

Alan Wilson

CA 06 07 08 09 10 11 12

Ian Wright

CA 75 76 77 79 80 81 82 88

Stephen Wright

CA 75 76 77 79 80 81 82 84 85



10 – 11 May, 1975, at Gleneagles:

Flodden was revenged when Scotland beat an England Select 5 matches to 4 in a two-day Match.

Croquet has been played at Gleneagles in worse weather than greeted us on Saturday.  There was a dark overcast sky with a steady drizzle which continued all day, giving way occasionally to heavy rain.  In view of the weather and the fairly slow lawns we hoped for some early success, but were defeated in the first game of all three doubles.  Prospects were grim, but our native resilience established itself after lunch and we went on to win all the remaining doubles.  The last match finished at half-past eight by which time we had secured a three-nil lead.

England’s morale may have collapsed in all three matches after rover hoop incidents.  In one Keith Ross got into an unfortunate tangle peeling his partner and narrowly missing a long peg out.  In another Bob Maclean, for rover, tried a long cut-rush on Jim Townsend’s ball, also for rover.  Jim’s ball stopped in the jaws of the hoop from where he was easily peeled and pegged out.  In the third Ian Wright, for rover with his partner on the peg, shot from beyond penultimate at a double target near rover.  Bernard Neal’s usually inscrutable countenance showed signs of delight when he saw the shot had been missed, then changed to dismay and anguish when he realised that the ball had run rover and left an easy roquet.

It had been hoped to start the singles on Saturday, but this was impossible, so all the singles were double-banked on Sunday.  On a mild spring day with continuous sunshine England regained some of their confidence and win four of the six singles to leave Scotland winning the Match by the narrowest of margins.

It had been agreed that the Match should not be regarded as a full International.  The England team had been selected not on the basis of the best six players available, but so as to provide a close match.  We were honoured in that the team included the present Chairman of the Croquet Association, Richard Rothwell, and also the immediate past Chairmen, Prof. B.G. Neal and J.S. Townsend.  The Match was of course played “advanced play” with lifts, but had it been played handicap, Scotland would have received bisques in every game but one.  It was most gratifying to snatch victory, however narrow, against stronger opponents.

Victory must not lead to complacency.  It was very early in the season for an important match and mistakes were made by all players on both sides.  There were many tight finishes and almost all of the games could easily have gone the other way.  The number of players in Scotland able to play in a match at this level can be counted on two hands with some fingers left over.  Scottish croquet at this standard suffers from a lack of new opposition against which our best players can try their skill.  We were particularly glad to have the opportunity of playing against unfamiliar opponents.

The Match was greatly enjoyed by both teams and we were delighted at Richard Rothwell’s suggestion of an annual event.  Perhaps in some future year England may have to pick its strongest team and the fixture will become a full International.

12 – 13 June, 1976, at Gleneagles:

When Scotland takes on an English team at Gleneagles, we always hope the weather conditions will affect the visitors more than the home players.  Once again it did its best on Saturday by producing a near gale force wind with frequent heavy showers of biting rain.  Even this was not enough to prevent Scotland losing two of the doubles.  It may have been the wind, it may have been excessively defensive play, or it may have been for reasons which make it kinder not to mention the players’ names; whatever the reason, it must be recorded that in one of the doubles croquet was not taken until the twelfth turn.  Ian Wright and David Nichols lost two closely contested games while Rod Williams and Bob Maclean nearly won their first game but lost the second heavily as the visitors became accustomed to the lawns and the weather.

As all of the doubles finished reasonably early on Saturday, two of the singles games were started to reduce double banking to a minimum.   On Sunday morning however, all games were double banked.  Colin Prichard, who had never played a double banked game before was, perhaps, particularly unfortunate in finding himself with an established four-ball break but playing behind Michael Heap who was working hard but successfully to pick up a break from a very difficult position.  Colin lost this game but won both the others.

With four of the six ties finished early in the afternoon, the Manager began to hope for a quick finish to the Match.  His hopes were not realised when Robin Godby, who had won his first game against Ian Wright, lost the second, and Coin Prichard, freed from double banking, also took his match to three games.  When Colin won his third game the Match was secure for England, but Ian Wright and Robin Godby were still fighting a closely contested struggle.  Ian seems to be getting into the habit of winning a long late-finishing International game at Gleneagles.  He did it against New Zealand two years ago and once again his stamina brought the desired victory in spite of having had one of his balls pegged out by his opponent.

The Match result shows that Scotland has still too small a pool of players who can be called upon for a match against opponents five of whom had minus handicaps.  In spite of this, the narrow margin makes it clear that Scottish tenacity stood up well against an English team whose handicaps averaged about 1¾ less than their opponents.  Arrangements are being made to play next year’s match in England, and it is to be hoped that the best of Scotland’s players will be available to make the journey south for a long weekend.

18 – 19 June 1977, at Cheltenham:

Following the visits in each of the last two years of the Croquet Association’s team to Scotland the Match took place this year in England where, to do their best to rival the lovely setting of Gleneagles, the Cheltenham Club staged the event.  In previous years the weather in Scotland had been anything but summer-like and it was hoped that by coming south at least we should be able to enjoy warmth and sun, but this was not to be and the matches were played in bitter cold with the clouds down to the tops of the surrounding hills.  The disappointing weather, however, did not spoil the enjoyment of the contest by all concerned.

As Scotland’s Number 1, Michael Heap gave a wonderful exhibition of croquet against Paul Hands, carrying out perfect triple peels in each game, and this was the more remarkable because this was the first time he had played for several weeks because of a serious operation and a recuperative holiday.  Stephen Wright, who seems to improve every time he plays, had a fairly easy victory and only in their first game did there appear any danger to Scotland until Godby broke down after the sixth hoop on his second break, whereupon Stephen took his second ball round and went out on an excellent triple.  Stephen’s shooting was outstanding and in the second game he had little trouble but could only carry out two peels.

Jack Norton playing Richard Rothwell, Secretary of the Croquet Association, had a hard first game but seemed to find things more to his liking in an easier second.  How Jack could play it all in shorts in the bitter cold was a mystery to all but he seemed to enjoy it.  Coleman and Wood, both playing very confidently, gave England two wins, and with Ian Wright’s match running to three games England’s hopes of a 3-all result after the singles ran high.  In the third game, however, Ian’s determination triumphed and so the first day’s play ended 4-2 to Scotland.

The third pairs started their doubles and played one game on the Saturday which England won, and when we all met later in the evening to enjoy Basque food in a local restaurant, the captain of the England team pointed out that the day’s results were only to lull the visitors into a false sense of security.

To even worse weather on Sunday morning, which Jack had to acknowledge by surmounting his shorts with a quilted anorak, we started the other two doubles, and within a fairly short time Rothwell and Wood won their second game.  The Scottish first pair proved far too good and won their match with little difficulty but Ian Wright and Jack Norton playing Robin Godby and Alec Coleman did not have it all their own way by any means, and with the innings changing frequently, the match went to three games but the result of the contest was already decided, finishing 6-3 to Scotland.

Scotland thus have, overall, two wins to the England Team’s one, and we look forward to further cementing friendships next year when the England Team visit Scotland hoping to level the score.


Match cancelled – reason unknown, but the weather was poor most of the summer that year.  Missing Bulletin No. 13 may have details.  The relevant Executive Committee minutes (autumn 1978) do not give the reason for the cancellation, but there was some expenditure for court hire incurred from Edinburgh City Council which could not be recovered.

16 – 17 June, 1979 at Nottingham:

This year the annual match against an England team was held at Nottingham over the weekend 16 and 17 June.  The team travelled down on Friday, arriving in time for a short practice session to acclimatise themselves before dispersing to their hosts.  The courts were smooth and fast, much faster than anything in Scotland, and the team made good use of their practice time.  Because three of our best players were not available this year, it was agreed with the Croquet Association that the Match would be between teams of four, and in order to avoid the possibility of a draw, it was agreed between the captains that the Match would be played with two singles and a doubles on Saturday and four singles on Sunday. 

The Nottingham Club was looking at its best with a glorious bank of rhododendrons, the full length of the five courts, splendid with varied colour.  By 10:00 on Saturday morning the sun was shining from a blue sky and the conditions were ideal for croquet.  At 10:15 the first ball on all three courts was apparently well on its way to 4-back, the balls being played by Stephen Wright, Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie, but the wrong Ian – Ian Vincent.

The first match to finish was Ian Wright’s singles where Ian Vincent went to 4-back in the fourth turn, and took his second ball round to the peg a few turns later in both games.  After his first break against Dudley Hamilton-Miller, Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie spent an hour and a half with his clips on hoops 2 and 6 while his opponent crept slowly round and eventually pegged out.  In his next game he played more confidently and eventually both players were on rover and 4-back, but Dudley had the innings and pegged Ewen out.  Ewen missed three long shots by very narrow margins before Dudley managed to settle the match.

In the doubles Scotland fared better.  In the first game Stephen Wright went to 4-back on the fourth turn and then Bob Maclean reached the peg in two turns.  George Noble hit the lift shot and the English pair held the innings for a long time before Stephen hit in and finished off.   The English pair won the second game, and in the third Eric Solomon had reached 2-back and George Noble the peg before Stephen or Bob were off hoop 1.  Then Stephen hit in, went right round to the peg and pegged George Noble’s ball out despite a very hampered stroke after running rover.  This meant that Eric Solomon had a contact, but Stephen had left the balls at opposite sides of the court and so the best Eric could do was to get position for 2-back.  Bob Maclean reached 1-back in a three ball break, and then Eric regained the innings to score 2-back and 3-back.  Bob then got another three ball break going and went out.  Scotland finished the day two matches to one down.

Sunday was just as beautiful as Saturday and the Scots were determined to reverse England’s lead.  Stephen set off in great style against Eric Solomon, winning the first game +26 with a triple peel in the eighth turn and following this with a +23 win, the whole match being over in about an hour and a half while his three team-mates were still struggling with their first games.  Ian Wright was playing Dudley Hamilton-Miller and, finding hoop 4 / 3-back difficult in both directions, paid the price by losing the first game.  In the second he did not have the chance to find any hoops difficult as he took croquet only twice and lost by 26.  Meanwhile Ewen was playing Ian Vincent – after losing the first game he rallied and for a while looked like winning the second when he pegged out his opponent’s forward ball.  But Ian Vincent managed to put together a three ball break and went out to win the match.

In his match against George Noble, Bob Maclean won the first game convincingly, but George replied by twenty-sixing him to level the match.  The third game was a very exciting one in which George Noble pegged out Bob’s forward ball when his other was far behind.  Bob hit in again and got a three ball break well organised, looking all set to go out before he went slightly too far in his approach to penultimate.  He managed the very difficult hoop shot cleanly but missed a longish roquet after it and George got in and went out.

The 5-2 defeat leaves the series level at two wins each so we must look forward to putting this right next year when the English team comes north to visit us.

28 – 29 July, 1980, at Edinburgh:

It has always been difficult to find a suitable venue in Scotland for this fixture which consists of teams of six players so that three doubles and six singles are played, each rubber being best of three games.  This, even with double banking, requires three courts, and there is no club in Scotland with three courts of satisfactory standard.  Thanks to the energetic efforts of Ian Wright an ideal solution was found.  The City of Edinburgh made three bowling greens at Montgomery Street available, so, for the first time, SCA played CA at home on 28 and 29 July on three adjacent and excellent courts.  In previous matches at Gleneagles, one court had either been remote from the others or slightly under size.  Ian had not only performed the miracle of obtaining good courts, he had found a nearby restaurant where lunch was provided on Saturday and a meal after the match on Sunday.  The Edinburgh Club filled in the gaps with coffee, tea and a snack lunch on Sunday.  It would take up too much space to list the names of all who helped in one way or another in the arrangements for the match and by providing accommodation for the visitors but to all of them the Association’s thanks are sincerely given.

SCA always has problems in team selection for this match.  Three or four places are usually filled automatically with the remaining players being picked at the last minute on current form.  This year there was an additional problem as David Nichols had intimated that he did not intend to play any croquet due to family commitments.  Eventually, when the selectors finally made their choice, Bill Spalding and Rod Williams were unavailable on account of family holidays or business engagements.  The top four, Michael Heap, Stephen Wright, Bob Maclean and Ian Wright were eventually joined by David Nichols (after much persuasion) and Stuart Malin.  The CA, with a much larger pool of players to pick from, picked a team which, on paper, was only slightly superior to the SCA selection.  Paul Hands, David Foulser and Nick Norman, all from Cheltenham, formed what might (with no disrespect to them) be called the top and bottom of the team while the stuffing from other parts of England consisted of Vincent Camroux, George Noble and Tim Haste.

In this match the doubles are played on Saturday.  Disaster struck from the outset with CA winning all three first games, going on to win the second in two rubbers, and sweeping the board by winning the last game in the top rubber.  Going to bed on Saturday with a three-nil deficit left SCA in a difficult but not impossible situation – if we could win five of the singles victory would be ours.  It was always too much to hope for.  Oddly enough, all the singles rubbers were decided in two straight games.  SCA shared the honours in the singles but lost the match overall winning three rubbers to CA’s six.

8 – 9 August, 1981, at Nottingham:

Six Scottish stalwarts made the journey to Nottingham for this now well-established fixture.  Our Scottish team was, in terms of handicaps, rather weaker than our English rivals, but of course the games are not played on handicap.  Nevertheless we have won on previous occasions, so faced the foe undaunted by their reputation.

After the three rounds of doubles on Saturday our hopes were raised as we were then in the lead by two matches to one.  A notable feature of the doubles was that, with the exception of one game in which David Foulser successfully completed a triple peel, all the games were won or lost by a margin of five points or less.

On Sunday morning when play resumed, we were maintaining our strong position after the first games which had been won by four of our players.  At this stage our English adversaries must have been feeling despondent, but they buckled to, and by the end of the day had won five of the singles.  Our only successful singles player was Margaret Lauder, who scored two straight wins over a slightly off-form Mrs R.T. (Dab) Wheeler, so the final result was victory to England by six matches to three.

31 July – 1 August, 1982, at Glasgow:

It was the turn this year for the annual match against the CA to be played in Scotland, and it was played in Glasgow for the first time.  Thanks to the efforts of Glasgow CC, the SCA were given use of four bowling greens at Glasgow Green East, for which the Parks Department generously made no charge.  This two-day match was held at the end of a spell four weeks dry and sunny weather, so the bowling greens had many brown patches and were very fast indeed.  The courts were set out on the first morning of the match, so the hoops were very tight in the ground, a combination which made it difficult to get breaks started, and even more so to keep them going.  In fact in more than one of these ‘A’-class matches all four clips could be seen on hoop 2.

Saturday’s play consisted of three doubles, each being played best of three games.  The innings changed frequently in all three matches, but by lunchtime Scotland were in trouble, and not long after the resumption, were one game down in each rubber.  There was much sticking in hoops, and Ian Wright and Stuart Malin thought they had set a new record by the time they had lost the second game to English captain Barry Keen and Martin Kolbuszewski.  Martin is no stranger to Scotland, having played in weekend tournaments here in the past.  He always plays with his trousers tucked into his socks, and this time had the added distinction of wearing a blue ten-gallon Stetson, which made him the target of the press photographers who turned up throughout the weekend; however the only photograph to appear (on the front page of the Sunday Standard) was that of Stuart Malin, on his knees, face to the ground, lining up a peel.

Geoff Strutt and Carol Rowe also lost their second game, so Scotland were looking to their top pair, Stephen Wright and Bob Maclean, to avoid complete defeat in the doubles.  Their match was even more drawn out than the others and eventually a time limit was put onto the second game.  When this was reached at seven o’clock, the score was level, but the Scottish pair had the innings having just failed penultimate.  Phil Cordingley shot from second corner but missed; Stephen rushed accurately to penultimate but failed it from about a yard.  After more English misses, during which Bob also had a go at penultimate, Stephen approached to within six inches, made the hoop and gave Scotland its first game of the day.  It was agreed not to start the third game, but to leave it to see whether it was necessary to play it to avoid an overall draw.

Sunday morning brought a dramatic change to the weather, and waterproofs were required for most of the day.  The two captains met again in the singles, and Ian Wright made a good start having clips on 4-back and 2-back while Barry Keen was struggling to score any hoops.  Then the heavens opened and the rain came down in torrents.  This seemed to inspire Barry Keen who took his second ball round in the middle of the downpour, shortly afterwards finishing the first game.  He continued to play well in the second game which he won easily.

Carol Rowe had a tough first game against Simon Garrett, which she won by 6, but he fought back and took the second.  Carol then lost her touch and lost the third game to give England their second win in the singles.  By now Scotland could not win the Match, but could get a draw by winning all the remaining singles – it was apparent that there would not be time to play the third game of the outstanding doubles, so that rubber was agreed as a draw.

But all not gloom in the Scottish camp, because Bob Maclean, having lost his first game to Tim Haste, won a fairly close second one +8 and then clinched his match with a very good +26 win in three turns.  Geoff Strutt too was playing well and won his first game against Martin Kolbuszewski fairly easily.  There then followed two close games, Geoff losing the first by three but winning the other by four to give Scotland another victory.

Thanks to the rain, the slower courts were making hoop-running easier but Stuart Malin still found 2-back difficult until the red ball stuck in it, literally, wedged between the uprights.  This was surprising because the ball had already been through that hoop in the opposite direction, but Barry Keen, referee for the problem, found that the ball was not round.  The replacement ball inspired Stuart enough to win the first game, but Tom Anderson won the second by three points, and the third more comfortably.

Meanwhile, true to the form of the weekend, the match between the top two players was the longest.  All three games were close; Stephen won the first by eight, but Phil Cordingley fought back to take the second.  In the third, the inning changed frequently, but Stephen gradually got the upper hand to win another close game by 7.

And so another SCA v CA match ended closely, just needing one rubber to go the other way to give a different result.  Despite the weather on Sunday, it was an enjoyable match, made more so by the very helpful attitude of the Glasgow Parks Department, and of the green keepers on duty who, quite unasked, took coffee out to the players.  The Glasgow Croquet Club also made it a memorable weekend with the lavishness of the buffet lunches and afternoon teas they provided.

9 – 10 July, 1983 at East Riding CC, Hull

A team consisting of Carol Rowe, Alasdair Adam, Stuart Kilpatrick, Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie, Bob Maclean and Bill Spalding (captain) met with members of the CA team in Hull on Friday evening 8 July.  Accommodation was provided in student flats and with members of the East Riding club.  The games were played on the local club lawns and on two adjacent bowling greens.

The doubles were played on Saturday and resulted in two victories for SCA with one for CA.  Ewen and Alasdair beat Pete Alvey and Tom Anderson, Carol and Stuart beat Judy Anderson and Ted Scott, but Bob and Bill lost to Barry Keen and John Davis only because Bob could not hit any five-yard roquets and Bill could not run any hoops.  A most enjoyable barbecue was provided on Saturday at the home of the Club President, and battle was rejoined on Sunday.

Having remembered how to run hoops, Bill beat Barry in the first game, but a poor leave after taking the second ball round in the second game gave Barry the opportunity to level the score.  The third game actually bore a distinct resemblance to croquet with Barry winning by 17 in the ninth turn.  In the second match, Bob remembered how to make five-yard roquets and played steadily to beat Peter in three games.  Ewen played John in the third match and lost the first game; he then failed to peg out his front ball from nine inches when leading by 20 in the second game.  Although he managed to win this game, his fortunes continued to fluctuate, and he lost the third.

Alasdair played Tom in a very evenly matched and dourly contested match; Tom gave nothing away and Alasdair could not find the opportunity to gain the initiative, losing in two games.  Carol and Judy had a match in which both players had chances, but unfortunately Carol took fewer of hers and lost in two games also.  In the final match, Stuart had won one and lost one against Ted, and then pulled back from apparent defeat to win a final fascinating game by one (on time of course), to make the match score 5 matches to 4 in favour of the CA.

The weekend was most enjoyable apart from the cold mist that was most unexpected in the middle of the heat wave conditions elsewhere.  The enthusiasm of both teams augurs well for the continuation of this fixture, and I am sure that the East Riding Club will host many more events following their excellent arrangements for this one.


This year the event was played in Glasgow on the Glasgow Green East bowling greens.  These were kindly made available by the Glasgow District Council. Two of these were not regularly played on, and were rather poor and dry, which made it difficult to make a break; the other two, regularly used by bowlers, were rather patchy.

All matches were played best-of-three.  On Saturday Scotland tried hard to win, taking all matches to three games, but in the end England won the two doubles and two singles.  In the first doubles, Barry Keen and Jack Norton (who was playing for England) played against Bill Spalding and Geoff Strutt.  The first game ended excitingly for Scotland when Barry pegged out Geoff with Bill on rover, but Jack failed to run 3-back, letting Bill in to finish the game.  Unfortunately Barry and Jack comfortably won the next two games.  In the second doubles Bob Maclean and Stephen Wright were up against Bill Aldridge and Tim Haste.  Bill and Tim won the first game, the second went to Bob and Stephen, but the decider went to Tim and Bill in another exciting finish.  Tim failed to peg out both balls when Bob and Stephen were on hoops 1 and 2; Stephen managed to get to penult with a nice two ball break, making the score a bit more respectable, but Bill hit in and pegged out before Bob could get a turn.

Meanwhile in the singles, Rod Williams, playing on one of the poor lawns, struggled with its variable speed.  He managed to fight back in the second game against Andrew Collin, winning it by two points, but Andrew won the third game.  Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie won his first game against Mary Collin narrowly on time in a tense finish.  When time was called, Mary was on rover and peg, and left her balls in separate corners, one being corner three.  Ewen was on rover and 3-back, with that ball being in front of his hoop; he ran that hoop, getting a rush on his partner ball towards rover.  From there he took off to the ball in corner three, and made a good roll to 4-back.  He followed this with a break to the peg including the rover peel, but could not get a rush to the peg to finish the job.  Mary won the next two games +15 and +16.

On Sunday, there were four singles matches and one doubles.  Three of the singles were straight wins for England.  The fourth provided Scotland’s only victory as Geoff Strutt beat Jack Norton in three games.  In the second, Geoff accidentally pegged out his own ball as well as his opponent’s; Jack’s other ball was for penult with Geoff’s other ball on hoop 6.  In his inimitable style, Jack ran penult from where his ball lay, ‘miles’ away, ending up in front of rover.  He ran that too, and pegged out, also from distance.  Geoff however managed to win the decider.

In the doubles game Rod Williams and Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie played Mary and Andrew Collin.  After they had won one game each, it was decided to call it a draw to enable the English team to get home in reasonable time.


Water played an important part in the last two great Scottish victories.  At Stirling, Wallace allowed half the English army to cross the bridge before he descended on them, driving the cavalry off the narrow causeway into the marshes, and 1314 saw the wettest June for many a year, letting the Bruce make capital of the boggy ground at Bannock Burn, keeping it on the right, thus forcing the English horses into the spiked pits on the left.  The last 600 years have been a bit lean for Scottish victories, so it was a welcome wind of change that blew across the Wrest Park landscape on 3 and 4 August; indeed if it were not for the 3-0 lead after the first, sunny day’s doubles, one might have thought that it was not skill that had won the match in the end, but Scotland’s auld and trusty ally, the weather.

Barry Keen had said the lawns were fast, but this was on Friday night over a libation of malt.  The dour doubles, Rod Williams and Ewen Mackenzie-Bowie versus Martin Kolbuszewski and John Watson, spent most of the day alternately confirming and disproving the premise.  The tie fell to Scotland -15, +13, +19, indicating a gradual improvement in Ewen and Rod’s game.  This was in fact based on the old principle that, by playing badly, one lures the opposition into a false sense of security, whereupon continuing to play badly, whilst regularly saving hopeless situations by long daredevil hits-in, one demoralises the opposition totally.  The only glimmer of creativity was the start of the third game, in which John played to five yards north of the fourth corner, Ewen hit and left the two balls between hoop 1 and the peg, Martin, with no safe shot, went for the hoop but bounced off leaving Rod a staggered triple target.  Rod then managed to shoot between two of these three balls, despite this being impossible – such excitement had not been witnessed in Wrest Park since the twelfth Earl of Kent beat the ninth Duke of Bedford at bowls by splitting the Duke’s fourth bowl with a direct hit – surely one of the antecedents of the Jaques Eclipse ball!

Meanwhile on an adjacent lawn, Alasdair Adam had reached 3-back on the sixth turn of the first game, partner John Surgenor apparently being a specialist in the quadruple peel.  However Alasdair had other ideas, as he was later seen sticking on 4-back by his own ingenuity – clearly the quad would have been sounder tactics!  The first game went to Scotland after Mike Wilkins accidentally pegged himself out as well as dispatching Alasdair – unfortunately for him, John was also on the peg , while partner Brian Harral was back on 2-back.

It was around this time that Adrian Williams was first seen patrolling the boundaries in a two-wheeled panniered contraption, the bosom of which brought forth all manner of bounty, from gin and tonic to pasta spirals.  Lunch sat heavily on the afternoon’s play – Alasdair and John presided over a drawn-out game which saw the sparkle of class only at the end when John went from hoop 5 to the peg including a peel through penultimate.  Scotland won +6, +8.

The top game was quick to start, Stephen Wright going to 3-back and Barry Keen to hoop 4 – hmm.  But John Wheeler’s shooting was accurate, destroying many a careful Scottish lay-up.  It was an inspired break from Bill Spalding from 2-back to the peg, including the 4-back peel, that eventually proved the undoing of the English.  Victory by +8 came after a prolonged denouement, meaning lunch sat not so heavily on the Scottish pair, who quickly won the second game +22 over a wearying John and Barry.

After tea and a coincident shower, it was only Equivocal Ewen and Roll-off Rod who looked like letting the side down, but the slower lawn enabled Rod to take off from behind the peg and get behind a ball in corner one to start a break; this proved Scotland’s undisputed mastery of the psychological game.

Scotland thus ended the day 3-0 ahead; the ducks on the long lake seemed well pleased, and Poseidon and Demeter had brought along a few friends to watch from the individual grandstand-plinths – being largely Greek they showed no bias, but neither did they applaud during the whole two days.  However the great wind in the trees proved noisy for much of Saturday, and visitors to the gardens wandered past uncomprehendingly, so one did not feel that it was only the ducks and the alabaster gods that were witnessing this great weekend in Scotland’s history.  The evening saw a superb take-away Indo-Chinese feast, with real ale and snooker to relax the teams; it was amazing how top-class croquet players could be so appalling at what we always like to compare our game with on the smaller scale!  Still, Saturday proved another delightful example of croquet hospitality; with comfortable accommodation, congenial socializing and superb surroundings, both teams were happy to acknowledge thanks to Wrest Park and to Barry Keen, whose malt whisky and continue enthusiasm help keep alive this very jolly event in the croquet calendar.

Sunday broke dry but grey, and the rain held off until play started.  In the meantime Rod had succumbed to leaf-mould and failed a fitness test after collecting the Sunday papers.  The remaining matches were played in increasingly unpleasant conditions, but the auld ally was less to England’s liking.  At lunch (coffee was a steaming cup that cooled as it became diluted from above) Stephen and Barry had each won a quick game, Bill had beaten John Wheeler once narrowly, and Ewen had quickly lost his match to Martin -2, -19 after an interesting three-ball then two-ball first game.  Alasdair had cross-wired himself at Mike’s hoop, going on to lose -10, while John won a long war of attrition against Brian.

So the singles were evenly poised at the break, but then came the foul weather which saw Stephen and Bill win their matches, Bill’s second game taking remarkably few turns.  Alasdair lost a tortured struggle while John failed to Brian in another long game.  By this time the weather was such that the ducks were no wetter than the players, so proceedings were drawn to a close with the Scots leading 5½-2½, marking John and Brian’s match as a draw, with recovered Rod and John Watson declining to take to the field in a reduced game.

So the run of six successive English victories came to an end and we look forward to next year’s match where Glasgow throngs will doubtless gather to watch the defence, rather than the ducks and motley gods Capability Brown dispersed in the wonderful gardens of Wrest Park.


Not played – reason unrecorded.

26 – 27 June, 1987 at Glasgow Green:

Much to our surprise Saturday 26 June at the Glasgow Green East bowling greens left us drowned but not drowning in our sorrows; the Scottish team won all three doubles best-of-three matches.  ‘Never mind’ they said, ‘we’ll get them tomorrow!’  The Scottish team were on top form however, and would not be beaten.

The singles games were notable for their intense finishes.  Ian Wright, standing in on Sunday for Bob Maclean, made a remarkable recovery in his first game to win +2; George Anderson, left with two balls on the lawn – his on rover and Mike Wilkins’ on the peg – managed to hit in  and win +1.  John Surgenor won two outstanding games +16 and +19, while Rod Williams played extremely accurate croquet as usual, giving Barry Keen very few chances for a break.

On the third lawn, David Warhurst and Corla van Griethuysen were not finding it so easy with the hot sun and hot competition. Both had comfortable first wins, but Derek Trotman’s long shots improved considerably in the second game, leaving few opportunities for Corla to take advantage of.  David was well ahead in his second game at one point but gave away a fatal lift.  To add to the frustration there was a mix-up with the calling of time – three minutes too late – David Appleton won +2.

By this time however there was no need or chance to even the score, as by 4.30 p.m. the third round of games proved unnecessary; the Scottish team had triumphed.  The trophy was presented to our captain, Rod Williams, by Bill Spalding, who was the Referee.  Rod announced later that John and David had each had half-a-bisque taken from their handicap following their fine play.

These annual matches give excellent experience for our aspiring players, and although we know the CA players were chosen to match our handicaps, we suspect that next year they will bring on the ‘heavies’ to even the score!

Cheeky comments on the game were flying in the après croquet in Romano’s restaurant: ‘I had one worrying moment during the game – that was when my trousers split!’; ‘I’m surprised that bothered you,’ said his opponent.  ‘You’d been walking round all morning with your fly undone!’

1988, at Wrest Park:

No report has been found.  SCA beat CA 5-4.

24 – 25 June, 1989 at Bush:

(Report by David Appleton)

Side of Lamb Butchered

In the absence of Barry Keen, the CA team this year was led by Bill Lamb who had just had his handicap reduced to -½, so that with John Davis in the side there were two ‘minus’ players at Bush, and the CA had lower handicaps in eight of the nine matches.  However the Scots fought well, particularly in the tight finishes, winning five of the seven matches in which the margin was four or less.  These matches give much needed experience to the Scottish players, and one thing your reporter will never do again is to break for lunch when he has a seven-yard lift shot, which, if hit, will probably win the game for his side.

The matches are also the launching pad for a great deal of social intercourse, and the political discussion between Colin Wild and Basil Townsend was greatly appreciated by the other players and spectators.  If Colin’s play was as quick and attacking as his wit, there might have been a result in his match with Corla, but since everyone else had finished and the SCA had won, the deciding game was not started.  Thanks to the Hunters for their hospitality on the Saturday evening, which even ran to a chamber music recital – and a spare room for Colin and Basil to carry on arguing in.

30 June – 1 July, 1990 at Bowdon:

(Report by David Appleton)

‘Champagne Croquet?’

Mild and Bitter

So near Old Trafford it is unwise to expect other than changeable weather, and so it proved at Bowdon this summer for the SCA’s annual fixture against the CA; sometimes it was quite balmy, and one could watch the play, pint in hand, from the veranda on the clubhouse roof, but for a while the lawns became a deserted tundra while players sheltered from lashing hail and someone took aerial photographs with an enormous flash.

Three doubles

Both sides decided to make up their doubles pairs with players of comparable strength, so in the top match John Surgenor and David Appleton were taking on Tim Haste and Brian Storey.  David stormed off on an early three ball break, but after he failed to approach 2-back neither he nor John took croquet again, giving a quick –19.  The second game was interrupted by rain, hail and lunch, and became rather scrappy; Tim seemed to get less play than the rest of us, never got going, and so we edged home to make it one-all.  Tim changed his ways in the decider and three-balled round to 4-back on the fifth turn, but when Brian broke down, John scrambled round to 4-back too, with a good leave.  David nearly messed it up when the lift was missed, but a pass roll to hoop 1 set him up and he went to the peg; the lift was again missed and John finished.

A peg too many

All this happened before the second game was over in the other two matches.  Malcolm O’Connell and Colin Rogers were on penult and penult with a healthy lead in their first game, but lost it to Pat Hague and Simon Tuke.  In the second game they were again well in control at peg and 3-back when Colin accidentally pegged out.  Malcolm got close but we eventually lost that one by two points, so the match was all square.

Dutch Courage

On paper, Corla van Griethuysen and Martin Gill were likely to have trouble with Barry Keen and Colin Wild, though Barry declared himself to be short of practice.  That was clear in the first game when the visitors won easily, but in the second Barry got round and pegged Martin out when Corla was for 2-back; he subsequently pegged himself out leaving Colin by rover, but from then on Corla hit everything and, with the home side reluctant to shoot at the peg from any distance, Corla held herself together for an important +1 win to take a 2-1 lead into the singles.

Scotch on the Rocks

On the Sunday John led from the front to win comfortably against Brian, whose only real mistake was to play the wrong ball at a crucial stage.  However Corla had used up all her roquets the previous evening and lost to Colin Wild, in spite of the intervention of a West Highland supporter which attempted to distract Colin; our Colin also lost in two games to Simon Tuke who was playing well in his first match for the CA.  With the overall match now all square, and both David and Martin having lost their first game, things looked less than rosy.  Martin had been destroying Barry till, following Colin’s example of the previous day, he pegged out accidentally.  The bright side was that Malcolm had taken the first game from Pat.

English Ail

When David was pegged out in his second game, things looked ominous, but uncharacteristically he hit everything to win, and continued to play well in the decider, hitting when he had to and taking the breaks round without essaying his usual flamboyant attempts at the triple. So when Malcolm, having lost the second game, saw Pat off in the third when she finally shot at a guarded boundary, the SCA had won.

Gill and a half

Martin and Barry’s third game was abandoned, half a point going to each side.  This all meant that the Scots had won the Glasgow Quaich four times in a row, and Colin Irwin (one of several spectators from Bowdon and Ellesmere) returned it to John for another year.  In addition to the croquet, the social aspects of the fixture were pleasant, with a fine Indian meal on the Saturday night, generous lunches made by Barry, and excellent teas in which the chocolate cake deserves a special mention.  Barry says that it is time for him to retire from organising the CA side; we hope that he will continue to play in these enjoyable annual fixtures.

6 – 7 July, 1991 at Bush:

(report by David Appleton)

Six of the Best

This year the SCA extended its winning run over the SCA to six, and leads 8-7 in the series.  Once again the visitors were led by Bill Lamb; Colin Wild and Peter Thompson had also played two years ago.  They were joined by Gail Curry and Brian Thompson from Tyneside, and Liz Taylor-Webb from Bowdon.  Overall the teams seemed quite evenly matches, though the SCA handicaps were more consistent.

The doubles got under way on the Saturday morning and by not long after lunch the CA had won the first game in two of them, and were a game down in the other.  The Lamb Curry combination had proved to be hot stuff (end of joke) and early in the afternoon finished off John Surgenor and Colin Rogers without Colin making a hoop.  David Appleton and Corla van Griethuysen levelled their best-of-three match with Colin Wild and Brian Thompson with a quick second game in which they never offered their opponents a worthwhile shot; indeed they had won the decider before Rod Williams and Malcolm O’Connell overcame more easily in the second game the stiff resistance of Peter Thompson and Liz Taylor-Webb.

Although the morning had begun in thick mist and a heavy tell-tale dew on the ground (you can’t blame a hill when the track is so straight), the day had turned out warm and sunny; so much so that even David had removed his fencing trousers in favour of shorts.  It remained a pleasant evening and we went to Penicuik for a most enjoyable meal organised by Brian and Sabine Murdoch, who were valiantly providing accommodation for no fewer than five of the visitors.  Also playing essential roles were Mona Wright who, not for the first time, spent the day boiling kettles, and Ralph Pirrie who, with Brian, had set out the lawns to a standard appropriate to a representative match.

The SCA went into the singles matches on the Sunday needing to share them, and after the first games were ahead in four.  Captain John Surgenor had beaten Bill Lamb in the 1989 fixture, but went in at number two against Colin Wild, leaving Bill to David Appleton; this was working as both John and David were winning.  Rod was finding Gail Curry (current holder of the Barlow Bowl and English Women’s Championship) a bit of a handful and narrowly lost the first game; her club colleague Brian Thompson was hitting too straight for Corla.  Liz was having a troublesome time around the hoops, so Colin Rogers was running more nearly true to the form which had just won him the SCA Summer Weekend.  Malcolm and Peter were enjoying something of an epic on lawn three.

It rained during the lunch break, but no-one cared, and it was dry again for the resumption.  Bill hit probably the tidiest New Standard Leave that David had ever managed, but couldn’t get going, an soon David, aided by a series of slightly brilliant and more than slightly luck strokes, embarked on what became a controlled triple peel.  With Colin Rogers also having won and Corla lost, it was now 4-2 to the SCA and only one more required.  Rod, playing quite well but not as consistently as he can, couldn’t come back against Gail, but John polished off Colin Wild.  Peter and Malcolm ended 1-1 after all the other games were finished, by which time it was rather wet, so they agreed to call it a draw.  John therefore held onto the Glasgow Quaich and Ann will have to polish it for another year.

On the way home I tried to persuade Bill Lamb to write the report; instead he gave me some coaching tips, and forgot to ask for the pound I had borrowed from him.

20 – 21 June, 1992 at East Riding:

(Report by David Appleton)

The SCA match against the CA returned to Hull for the first time since 1984, a match which had been watched by Bill Lamb, this year’s CA captain.  It was seeing that which motivated him to take up croquet.  I wonder whether this year’s fixture will have encouraged anyone to do the same, or is it more likely that some of the participants will give up the game.

The East Riding club, like Glasgow, has two lawns of its own, and can borrow two more on special occasions from the bowling club.  The bowling green lawns were indeed green and easy paced, but the croquet club lawn was browner, faster, and had the odd hill.  Not that such considerations stopped Barbara Sutcliffe, the CA number six, as she raced round to 4-back on the fifth turn of her doubles match with husband Alan against John Surgenor and new SCA team member Andy Campbell, who decided that he had better do the same.  When he finished his break, the match pitting David Appleton and Mike Ranshaw against Bill Lamb and Gail Curry was just about to see its first hoop made.  Nevertheless, the latter match was the first to finish, though only because the players in the former took time off to light the barbecue and prepare a splendid lunch between the two games.

As usual the doubles matches provided some close results:  David and Mike won by +1T, +4, and John and Andy squeezed home +13, +3, by employing sound endgame tactics in their second game after a good break by Andy under pressure of a lift and a ball in baulk.  Meanwhile Malcolm O’Connell and Martin Gill had come back from losing the first game to Colin Wild and Rick Davis -8 to win the second one +2T.  With an hour to play in the deciding game, the match was pegged down so that we could all turn up in time at the Chinese restaurant where Colin was to keep us entertained with stories of his unsuccessful financial dealings and his Staffordshire bull terrier.

There must have been something about these stories, because it was downhill for the Scots from then onwards.  The doubles match slipped away, and then, with the SCA needing to take three of the six singles to keep its grip on the Glasgow Quaich, only Malcolm O’Connell won his first game: a good win against Alan Sutcliffe.  David, John and Mike followed up by losing their second games too, to Bill, Gail and Colin respectively, and the only bright spots were that Martin and Andy drew level in their matches, though Malcolm was brought back to all square by Alan.

The CA players were rather more familiar with the East Riding lawns than the SCA visitors, and were all lower bisquers than their opponents, so it was really no surprise that things were difficult.  Indeed it was no bad performance that we were still in the match.  But not for long: when Alan pegged Malcolm out and shortly afterwards won +2, the CA had finally got back on the winning trail for the first time since their captain took up the game.  Martin couldn’t make his lengthy and expensive train journey worthwhile and lost his third game to Rick.  Since the result was no longer in doubt, the match between Andy and Barbara was left at one-all, and the result declared as CA 6½, SCA 2½.

The whole event took place as always in the friendliest of spirits.  Thanks are due to all those who helped to make it so pleasant by putting up the teams (particularly Bill who found room for four of us) and providing lunches and teas.  Despite the result and the travelling, sitting in the sun and occasionally taking a break round wasn’t the worst way to spend a summer weekend.

11 – 12 September, 1993 at Glasgow:

(Report by Colin Dinwoodie)

Demolition Job?

This was the seventeenth time that an SCA team had met the CA and the match score was finally balanced at 8-8.  It was the fourth time that it had taken place in Glasgow, and appropriately, it coincided with the largest demolition in Europe, just over (fortunately) a stone’s throw away from the Gorbals.

It might have been reported like this:

Sunday morning started well.  In bright sunshine, Malcolm O’Connell (in his shorts) pegged out without his opponent having scored, while John Surgenor convincingly confirmed his authority as Scottish number one.  Having stuck in 3-back with his forward ball, Rod Williams proceeded to do half a quadruple peel, before a close scrappy ending in his favour.  Colin Dinwoodie also went ahead, to leave the Scots a 4-2 advantage after the first games.  All matches were to be played as the best of three singles.

Corla van Griethuysen meanwhile had kept her best form for the doubles (in which she was previously unbeaten in this fixture), and David Appleton just kept his hidden, although in the first game he had been ahead with balls on penult and peg.

At 11:55 practically all play was suspended as we all trooped off to witness the dramatic explosion nearby; at 12:10 we resumed, disappointed.

Malcolm had now scored 49 points before the English captain had scored at all, but with opponent’s clips on penult and peg, Peter Thompson, on hoops 1 and 2, pegged him out and played a faultless three ball wiring game until, at rover and stick, he gave Malcolm a 14-yard shot, and the game was over.

At 1:55 play was again suspended; at 2:10 the impatient amongst us returned to our games; at 2:15 the building blew up.

John again dominated to the end, and celebrated with his first TPO in a friendly with Alan Sutcliffe immediately afterwards. Although Rod had lost his second game, he came back in the decider to win an undistinguished third.  The singles were won overall by four matches to two.

Saturday morning also started well.  In the doubles, Corla & John and David & Colin both won their opening games.  The 4-hr time limit for the first game modifies into a 7-hr time limit for the first two games.  After 7 hours Rod & Malcolm (in his shorts and wellies) had pulled one back, but Corla & John were also well into their deciding game.  It seemed to start raining as often as the innings changed.

As time was called on David & Colin, they were four points down, still in their second game.  Colin was for 3-back and had a three ball break.  All went well until after running rover he was hampered and just missed the roquet; Peter Thompson calmly made the vital point.  And so it was to be a decider in all three.  No-one on the Scottish side distinguished themselves and the three matches slipped away.  Where was all the tension?  Where was the nail-biting finish?

Unfortunately Saturday comes before Sunday...

Having won all three doubles, the CA only needed two wins in the singles.  And so when Alan Linton pegged out in his second game against the Scottish captain, the Glasgow Quaich was on its way back down south for a second year in succession.  It was a most enjoyable match played in good spirits, and we left asking the question (amongst others): when did David Appleton last play three consecutive games to time?

3 – 4 September, 1994 at East Riding:

(Report by David Appleton)

The SCA team travelled from north and south of the border for the (English) CA v SCA match at Hull, with David Warhurst, the Yorkshire Scot, somehow managing to do both by flying in from a business trip to Aberdeen and out again back to deepest England.  On paper, the English team, as a whole, was marginally stronger than the Scottish team, with the top three English being a total of seven bisques better than their counterparts while the bottom three were five bisques worse.  The result, a win for the English by five matches to three, with one halved, reflected the difference, though there were some notable individual performances on both sides.

Even though the time limits were not unduly strict (3, 6 and 8 hours for one, two and three games), every doubles game on Saturday went to time, due to typical doubles conferencing and indecision, combined with difficulty in coming to terms with the very heavy lawns.  Luckily for the evening’s dining arrangements, none of the doubles went to three games, though Rod Williams and David Appleton were lucky to take the second +1T after being one behind when time was called.  It needed a nerve-wracking last turn from Rod to take rover and peg to win.

Scotland were in a good position at the end of Saturday, two matches to one, so England’s Plan B came into action.  This involved taking the visitors to a Chinese restaurant and filling us with vast quantities of excellent food and drink, followed by a late evening session at a nearby pub. The clever part of the plan was that only those English known to have a matching constitution accompanied the Scots on the second part of the evening – one English player with a double-barrelled constitution, and the ever-hospitable helpers and hosts of the East Riding Croquet Club.

Despite the English sabotage efforts, the Scots started strongly on Sunday in the singles, with John Surgenor and Rod Williams soon being one up.  However at this stage the English started to come back ell.  David Harrison-Wood took the second off John, and Bill Lamb narrowly beat Rod after pegging him out, taking that match to a third as well.

In the meantime Alan Locket was doing well for the English, narrowly beating David Warhurst +1T, +9, and David Appleton was doing the same for Scotland, beating Derek Trotman +23, +6.  Bill Lamb comfortably took the third against Rod, but David Harrison-Wood only just scraped home in his third against John.  Those wins for the English CA together with Alan Linton’s +1T in the second against Mike Ranshaw (Alan pegged out one of his, leaving Mike needing four points after time to win) meant the match was now decided, so the third game between Fred Mann and George Chamberlin was halted at ten points all – a fair reflection of their match.

Good performances from David Appleton and Alan Locket, the only players to win all their games, and creditable efforts from Rod Williams taking one from a technically much stronger Bill Lamb, and Mike Ranshaw taking Alan Linton so close.

Thanks to Bill Lamb and Alan Linton who did most of the organising, and a particular thank you to Norman and Elspeth of the East Riding Croquet Club who provided the magnificent barbecue lunches and also put up (with) three of the Scots and one of the English for the weekend.

2 – 3 September, 1995 at Bush:

(Report by David Appleton)

Rain at Bush Shock

Your reporter made his best decision of the weekend when he drove away from Bush on the Saturday morning, choosing instead to go to Allan Ramsay’s and borrow his tent.  Granted it looked a bit wee in comparison with the blue and white striped marquees which had been erected for a wedding reception, but guid gear gangs in sma buik and it gave sterling service to shelter the players from incessant rain on the Saturday.  Sunday was gey dreich too, but wonderful by comparison.

After the fast lawns they had been getting used to this hot summer, the players took some time to compensate for the wet conditions, with the back ball in many croquet strokes skidding to a halt long before it was meant to.  The Scots, possibly with greater experience of such problems, adapted first, and by the time the warmth of The Steading had been achieved at lunch-time led 1-0 in all three doubles.  Unfortunately only John Surgenor and Tony Brightman (playing competently in his SCA debut) managed to win their second game; Rod Williams and David Appleton eventually went down 2-1; Colin Dinwoodie and Andy Campbell lost their second game -2T whereupon they and their opponents agreed to call it a day and go to Charlotte’s to dry off.  Sadly your reporter was not present at the evening meal and so it is only hearsay that David Harrison-Wood would also play off about -1½ in a CA eating team.  The English handicaps, at -1½, -½, -½, 2, 4½ and 6, gave the visitors quite an advantage on paper against the Scots -½, 2, 2½, 3½, 3½ and 6, so to come out of the doubles level was not a bad start.

The next day saw Alan Linton dispose very quickly of David Appleton, leaving the latter free to wander about and see what was going on elsewhere.  There were three close first games for him to watch: Colin Dinwoodie squeezing through against Garry Bennett of Harrow Oak; Rod Williams losing when Howard Taylor hit the lift when Rod was on 4-back and peg; and John Surgenor uncharacteristically losing in a tight finish.  The last two of these were on lawn three and the slopes certainly played their part.

Having pegged David Harrison-Wood out, John had succeeded in running rover with a reasonable cut rush back to the peg; however if he played it hard, he would be pegging out in the direction of David’s ball in the middle of the west boundary.  After some thought John played the rush rather gently, leaving about a five yard peg out towards penult.  This he played without conviction sending the front ball about four yards past the peg; he then ill-advisedly pegged out the other ball when putting it two feet past his partner would have offered nothing he did not have anyway.  David shot at the remaining ball and missed; John missed gently; David missed; John missed gently again; David hit.  It was greatly to John’s credit that he won the next two games, concentrating grimly.  John has surprised a lot of Englishmen in this fixture over the years, but how much of a surprise was this win?  After all, although John plays off -½ to David’s -1½, John, at number 29, is actually seven places higher in the British rankings than David – though lower than Alan Linton who is at number 21 (and his handicap is -½ - odd, that).

Rod and Colin succumbed and Andy won, as might have been expected on handicap.  This left the well matched Tony Brightman and Alan Locket.  Tony had had the first game all his own way, but the second was a much closer affair, and everyone was watching.  (Many thanks to the intrepid spectators, particularly those who braved the Saturday downpour, and to Mona and Brian who fed us, Brian’s Danish pastries on the Sunday morning being the highlight of the weekend.)  Anyway when time was called in the second game, which Scotland had to win to tie the match (no-one being keen to finish the doubles or to stay for a third in this match) Tony was one ahead, being on penult and peg against penult and rover, and was about to play.  With his more experienced team-mates praying (silently of course) that he would rush his backward ball somewhere safe and peg out his forward one, he chose the other option – and finished!  Well done, Tony!  I can’t say you were wrong, but the combined age of the team increased by several decades during the break.


No report has been found.  SCA won 6-3 at Bush.


No report has been found.  CA won 5½-3½ at Bowdon.


No report has been found.  CA won 6½-2½ at Bowdon.

11 – 12 September, 1999 at Kelvingrove:

(Report by Charlotte Townsend)

Twilight Robbery

The weekend was dominated by a surfeit of rain and failed triples.  To add to this, The [ex-Brewery] Tap’s food had gone downhill, and John Surgenor’s body language deteriorated ever more constantly.

By the end of the first day (doubles), Scotland had reached an uninspired total of one match, against two to England.  The highlight was Malcolm O’Connell’s fine quadruple peel, in which he peeled 3-back going to his pioneer at hoop 5, and 4-back going to his pioneer at 1-back.  A straight double peel (rover from about six yards) finished it off.

We needed more than this to beat the English, however.  A curry was the only weapon left to us, so we used it – quite a good curry, I might add, although not cheap.

During the early part of the next day, it didn’t seem to be working.  Only Malcolm was showing any real promise, allowing Ian Lines to take a ball round to 1-back in the first game, but never thereafter allowing him to take croquet.  The other games were more of a struggle and scores were roughly level around lunch-time.

The SCA won 5-4 with the whole thing resting on the third game between David Appleton and Ailsa Lines, who were left battling it out in the gathering gloom.

David had won the first game most unfairly, after taking his first ball to the peg, being pegged out by Ailsa, and then managing what he described as the best break of his life, making huge hit-ins and rolls to win the game.  To quote: ‘Was pegged out when on hoop 2 with Ailsa on 4-back (and peg, of course).  Lift pending.  Ailsa separated, ball on each side boundary.  I hit on west boundary from A-baulk, made hoop 2, sent ball to hoop 4 going to ball on east boundary, roll to hoop 3 not quite good enough.  Took position wired from pilot and pioneer at 4.  She belatedly tried to peg out the pilot (pink), missed and went off four yards up from corner I.  I ran hoop 3, hit pioneer (white), made hoop 4.  Rolled to hoop 5 and took wired pozzy again.  She went to corner I.  I ran hoop 5, didn’t get position at hoop 6 so hit white in corner I.  Rush on pink went off on west boundary level with hoop 6.  Rolled it off with rush to 1-back, made that with rush to west boundary near white.  Made 2-back with rush back to pink.  Rushed it to 3-back.  Two balled out.’

The next game was slow, however.  Everyone else had finished by 4:30 p.m. – Ailsa and David hadn’t even finished the second game.  Even the English team were expressing some hopes that David would win the second game.  They had a long journey ahead of them, and really weren’t keen to spend potentially 2½ hours watching the final game.  Ailsa failed them, however, and the third game started while several spectators took a short break in the pub.

Scores were level when time was called, but Ailsa had the innings.  She made penult, then removed David’s black from the jaws and retired to corner II, leaving the other two balls well separated but on the lawn.  David hit the lift into corner II with black and made the two hoops necessary – after nine hours and twenty minutes!

So, eventually, Scotland won.  James Hawkins learned about The Broons, though, which was probably almost as significant.

2 – 3 September, 2000 at Southport:

(Report by James Hawkins)

An evenly poised event saw Scotland’s rising newcomer Jonathan Kirby suffer the ultimate misfortune.  In a peg-peg-peg-peg finish, Bob Burnett pegged out a single ball, leaving Kirby a grievous rush peg out of John Haslam’s ball to lose by -2.  Despite this early setback, Scotland regained control to retain the trophy.  The series stands at 12-11 in England’s favour.

1 – 2 September, 2001 at Kelvingrove:

No detailed report was published.  SCA won 5½-3½.

31 August – 1 September, 2002 at Crake Valley:

(Report by Charlotte Townsend)

The match between the SCA and CA was another closely fought one, with everything hinging on the final games.  (As usual, I was told that my game was the crucial one...)

Four players had made the less-than-three hour journey down to Crake Valley from Glasgow – John Surgenor, Rod Williams, Brian Durward and Charlotte Townsend.  Malcolm O’Connell and Su Stenhouse, who had come over separately from Northumberland, joined us.  Some of the English team had probably travelled further than we had to get to the match – Dave Kibble and Louise Bradforth had travelled up from Bristol.  The other players came from the north – Bob Burnett, Peter Wardle, Ray Belcher and Mark Miller.

When we arrived on Friday evening, there had been heavy rain, and at least one of the three lawns was fairly waterlogged.  The English were optimistic, however, that it would dry out enough not to be a problem, and they were right.

Handicap-wise, the English team was at a slight advantage with their top players, but the Scots benefited at the lower end.  All in all, it evened out quite well.

The first day was doubles and the English won two of the best of three matches in straight games, with two triples from Dave Kibble taking the top match.  Rod and Charlotte showed more stamina, however, and beat Louise and Ray in three games.

Despite a fair amount of sun, it was quite chilly, and we were glad of the shelter from the open-fronted tent by two of the lawns.  Even more welcome were the splendid lunches put on by the Crake Valley club for us on both days.  Dave Nicholson (Dave Nick as a player), organiser and manager, also arranged an excellent dinner for us at a country pub – even driving us there and back in a mini-bus!

Despite all this food, and one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had (masses of fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and other fruit) in our hotel in Ulverston, we were able to stagger out to the lawns the following day.  It was a lovely day, and it was tempting just to lie back and let one’s opponent go round...  But we all resisted that temptation and the games were, again, closely fought.

By lunch-time Dave Kibble had beaten Malcolm in two games, but the other games were continuing.  John made a meal out of beating Louise, who reciprocated by not taking advantage of some of the opportunities he gave her.  Su had looked like beating Ray Belcher easily in her first game, but then Ray fought back, at length, before Su finally won that game and the second.  Brian had a long second game against Mark, who played a superb Aunt Emma game that demoralised Brian so much that he was unable to find the right shots to win.

It was left to Rod (playing Bob) and Charlotte (playing Peter) to play the deciding games.  Both had lost their first games and won the second – and we needed to win both of the third games to win.

Charlotte and Peter had both struggled in their first game, missing easy shots and failing to take advantage of hit-ins.  In my second game, however, I came to life and played (she said modestly) pretty immaculately, even having a failed triple!  (As can be seen from the scores, Peter had also, unfortunately, come to life, and went round to 4-back in the only opportunity I gave him.)  His revival unfortunately lasted longer than mine, and by the time the news had come that Rod had won his game, we were both playing to handicap, meaning, alas, that he won.  So the English won a close fought match, taking the Glasgow Quaich back to England after four years in Scotland.

It was a very enjoyable weekend, and we all felt that Scottish players would do well to visit Crake Valley – it’s easy to reach down the M6 in 2½ to 3 hours (less than 2½ going back, but it was Sunday and we had no delays).  The players and other club members were tremendously hospitable and friendly – a lot of club members turned out to watch, and we were treated like honoured guests.

So – if you get the chance to go there, do!


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


This report is already on the website.


No report has been found.  CA won 22-5 at Middlesbrough.



Scottish names first

1975:     Doubles:
M.E.W. Heap & S.J.H. Wright beat K. Ross & S.R. Hemsted -11, +15, +2
I.H. Wright & D.I. Nichols beat B.G. Neal & N. Williams -13, +18, +11
R.N. Maclean & F.V.X. Norton beat J. Townsend & R.F. Rothwell -10, +3, +8
M.E.W. Heap beat B.G. Neal +19, +7
S.J.H. Wright lost to K. Ross -18, -17
D.I. Nichols lost to S.R. Hemsted -5, -19
I.H. Wright lost to J. Townsend -2, -7
R.N. Maclean lost to R.F. Rothwell -6, -12
F.V.X. Norton beat N. Williams +8, +12

1976:     Doubles: 
M.E.W. Heap and S.J.H. Wright beat B.G. Neal and R.A. Godby +14, +14
I.H. Wright and D.I. Nichols lost to S.R. Hemsted and A.V. Camroux -1, -4
R.N. Maclean and R.ap W. Williams lost to C.H.L. Prichard and J. Rose -4, -25
M.E.W. Heap beat B.G. Neal +25tp, -4tp, +18
S.J.H. Wright lost to S.R. Hemsted -19, -26
D.I. Nichols lost to C.H.L. Prichard +8, -24, -5
I.H. Wright beat R.A. Godby -12, +9, +3
R.N. Maclean beat A.V. Camroux +11, +10
R.ap W. Williams lost to J. Rose -25, -13

1977:     Singles: 
M.E.W. Heap beat P.I. Hands +17tp, +23tp
S.J.H. Wright beat R.A. Godby +11tp, +25
I.H. Wright beat G.K. Taylor +12, -2, +25
F.V.X. Norton beat R.F. Rothwell +5, +25
R.N. Maclean lost to A.F. Coleman -11, -23
R.ap W. Williams lost to T.I. Wood -2, -14
M.E.W. Heap & S.J.H. Wright beat P.I. Hands & G.K. Taylor +24, +15
I.H. Wright & F.V.X. Norton beat R.A. Godby & A.F. Coleman +12, -20, +12
R.N. Maclean & R.ap W. Williams lost to R.F. Rothwell & T.I. Wood -7, -12

1978:     Not played

1979:     Doubles: 
S.J.H. Wright & R.N. Maclean beat G. Noble & E. Solomon +13, -13, +4
I.H. Wright lost to I.G. Vincent -18, -15
E. Mackenzie-Bowie lost to D.J.V. Hamilton-Miller -18, -15
S.J.H. Wright beat E. Solomon +26tp, +23
R.N. Maclean lost to G. Noble +16, -26, -3
I.H. Wright lost to D.J.V. Hamilton-Miller -13, -26
E. Mackenzie-Bowie lost to I.G. Vincent -17, -9

1980:    Doubles: 
M.E.W. Heap & S.J.H. Wright lost to P.I. Hands & D. Foulser -19, +15, -26
R.N. Maclean & I.H. Wright lost to A.V. Camroux & G. Noble -9, -4
D.I. Nichols & S. Malin lost to T. Haste & G. Norman -26, -13
M.E.W. Heap beat P.I. Hands +15, +11
S.J.H. Wright beat D. Foulser +26tp, +16
R.N. Maclean lost to G. Noble -3, -22
I.H. Wright beat A.V. Camroux +9, +2
D.I. Nichols lost to T. Haste -14, -12
S. Malin lost to G. Norman -21, -6

1981:     Doubles: 
S.J.H. Wright & I.H. Wright lost to D. Foulser & S.R. Hemsted -20tp (F), -4
R.ap W. Williams & W.M. Spalding beat P. Johnson & I.G. Vincent +4, +2
E. Mackenzie-Bowie & M. Lauder beat M. Stevens & R. Wheeler -4, +5, +2
S.J.H. Wright lost to D. Foulser
R.ap W. Williams lost to S.R. Hemsted +23, -12, -5
E. Mackenzie-Bowie lost to I.G. Vincent -18, -22
I.H. Wright lost to P. Johnson +13, -7, -23
W.M. Spalding lost to M. Stevens +10, -3, -4
Mrs M. Lauder beat Mrs R.T. Wheeler +5, +17

1982:    Doubles: 
S.J.H. Wright & R.N. Maclean drew with P. Cordingley & T. Haste -16, +1T
I.H. Wright & S.R.C. Malin lost to B.A. Keen & M. Kolbuszewski -16, -10
G.G. Strutt & C.A. Rowe lost to T. Anderson & S. Garrett -13, -18
S.J.H. Wright beat P. Cordingley +8, -11, +7
R.N. Maclean beat T. Haste -15, +8, +26
I.H. Wright lost to B.A. Keen -6, -24
G.G. Strutt beat M. Kolbuszewski +22, -3, +4
S.R.C. Malin lost to T. Anderson +7, -3, -10
C.A. Rowe lost to S. Garrett +6, -12, -21

1983:    Doubles: 
E. Mackenzie-Bowie & A.H.M. Adam beat P. Alvey & T. Anderson
W.S. Kilpatrick & C. Rowe beat J. Anderson & T. Scott
W.M. Spalding & R.N. Maclean lost to B.A. Keen & E.J. Davis
R.N. Maclean beat P. Alvey 2-1
W.S. Kilpatrick beat T. Scott 2-1
A.H.M. Adam lost to T. Anderson 0-2
E. Mackenzie-Bowie lost to E.J. Davis 1-2
C. Rowe lost to J. Anderson 0-2
W.M. Spalding lost to B.A. Keen 1-2

1984:    Day 1:
S.J.H. Wright & R.N. Maclean lost to W.O. Aldridge & T.J. Haste -17, +6, -15
W.M. Spalding & G.G. Strutt lost to B.A. Keen & F.V.X. Norton +6, -2T, -14
R.ap W. Williams lost to A.J. Collin -14, +2, -16
E. Mackenzie-Bowie lost to M.R. Collin +1T, -15, -16
Day 2:
R.ap W. Williams & E. Mackenzie-Bowie unfinished, level with A.J. Collin & M.R. Collin +16, -10
G.G. Strutt beat F.V.X. Norton +1, -2, +12
R.N. Maclean lost to W.O. Aldridge -13, -21
W.M. Spalding lost to B.A. Keen -15, -6
S.J.H. Wright lost to T.J. Haste -5, -22

1985:     Doubles:
S.J.H. Wright & W.M. Spalding beat B. Keen & J. Wheeler +8, +22
E. Mackenzie-Bowie & R.ap W. Williams beat M. Kolbuszewski & J. Watson -15, +13, +19
A.H.M. Adam & J. Surgenor beat M. Wilkins & B. Harral +6, +8
S.J.H. Wright beat B.A. Keen +19, -10, +11
W.M. Spalding beat J. Wheeler +7, +17
E. Mackenzie-Bowie lost to M. Kolbuszewski -2, -19
A.H.M. Adam lost to M. Wilkins -10, -10
J. Surgenor unfinished, level with B. Harral +13, -9

1986:    Not played

1987:     Doubles: 
R.ap W. Williams & J. Surgenor beat B.A. Keen & J. Potter +17, +17
C.M. van Griethuysen & G. Anderson beat P. Stoker & D.R. Appleton +11, +13
R.N. Maclean & D. Warhurst beat M. Wilkins & D.W. Trotman +1T, +9T
R.ap W. Williams beat B.A. Keen +12, +25
D. Warhurst unfinished, level with D.R. Appleton +10, -2
G. Anderson beat M. Wilkins +15, +1
I.H. Wright unfinished, level with P. Stoker +2, -5
J. Surgenor beat J. Potter +16, +19
C.M. van Griethuysen unfinished, level with D.W. Trotman +3, -17

1988:    Doubles: 
C.M. van Griethuysen & G. Anderson beat J. Anderson & G. Collins
R.ap W. Williams & J. Surgenor lost to T. Anderson & M. Wilkins
I.H. Wright & M. Gill lost to B.A. Keen & C. Lewis
R.ap W. Williams beat B.A. Keen
G. Anderson beat G. Collins
M. Gill beat G. Lewis
I.H. Wright lost to M. Wilkins
C.M. van Griethuysen beat J. Anderson
J. Surgenor lost to T. Anderson

1989:    Doubles: 
J. Surgenor & D. R. Appleton lost to E.J. Davis & W.E. Lamb -3, -15
C.M. van Griethuysen & G. Anderson beat P. Stoker & C. Wild +11, +11T
M.P.W. Smith & M. Gill beat P.W. Thompson & C. Lewis +4T, -2T, +3T
D.R. Appleton lost to E.J. Davis -14, -11
J. Surgenor beat W.E. Lamb +2, +3
C.M. van Griethuysen drew with C. Wild -9T, +10
G. Anderson beat P. Stoker +14, +8
M.P.W. Smith lost to P.W. Thompson -17, -9
M. Gill beat C. Lewis +14, +12

1990:    Doubles: 
J. Surgenor & D.R. Appleton beat B. Storey & T. Haste 2-1
C.M. van Griethuysen & M. Gill beat B.A. Keen & C. Wild 2-0
M.J. O’Connell & C. Rogers lost to P. Hague & S. Tuke 0-2
C.M. van Griethuysen lost to C. Wild 0-2
J. Surgenor beat B. Storey 2-0
M. Gill drew with B.A. Keen 1-1
M.J. O’Connell beat P. Hague 2-1
C. Rogers lost to S. Tuke 0-2
D.R. Appleton beat T. Haste 2-1

1991:     Doubles: 
J. Surgenor & C. Rogers lost to W.E. Lamb & G. Curry 0-2
D.R. Appleton & C.M. van Griethuysen beat C. Wild & B. Thompson 2-1
R.ap W. Williams & M.J. O’Connell beat P.W. Thompson & L. Taylor Webb 2-0
D.R. Appleton beat W.E. Lamb 2-0 (tp)
J. Surgenor beat C. Wild 2-0
R.ap W. Williams lost to G. Curry 0-2
C.M. van Griethuysen lost to B. Thompson 0-2
C. Rogers beat L. Taylor Webb 2-0
M.J. O’Connell drew with P.W. Thompson 1-1

1992:     Doubles: 
D.R. Appleton & M. Ranshaw beat W.E. Lamb & G. Curry +1T, +4
M.J. O’Connell & M. Gill lost to C. Wild & R. Davis -8, +2T, -11
J. Surgenor & A. Campbell beat A. Sutcliffe & B. Sutcliffe +13, +3
D.R. Appleton lost to W.E. Lamb -9, -25
J. Surgenor lost to G. Curry -4, -7
M.J. O’Connell lost to A. Sutcliffe +13, -9, -2
M. Gill lost to R. Davis -16, +21, -13
M. Ranshaw lost to C. Wild -18, -17
A. Campbell drew with B. Sutcliffe -11, +14

1993:     Doubles: 
R.ap W. Williams & M.J. O’Connell lost to A. Sutcliffe & H. Taylor -12, +14, -21
J. Surgenor & C.M. van Griethuysen lost to A. Linton & T. Scott +10, -2, -11T
D.R. Appleton & C. Dinwoodie lost to P.W. Thompson & D.W. Trotman +8T, -1T, -1T
J. Surgenor beat A. Sutcliffe +20, +25
R.ap W. Williams beat H. Taylor +4, -11, +9
D.R. Appleton lost to A. Linton -3, -26
M.J. O’Connell beat P.W. Thompson +26, +3
C.M. van Griethuysen lost to T. Scott -24, -4
C. Dinwoodie beat D.W. Trotman +15, +15

1994:     Doubles: 
D.R. Appleton & R.ap W. Williams beat A Linton & D.W. Trotman +2T, +1T
D. Warhurst & M. Ranshaw lost to W.E. Lamb & A. Locket -14T, -3T
J. Surgenor & F. Mann beat G. Chamberlin & D. Harrison-Wood +7T, +9T
J. Surgenor lost to D. Harrison-Wood +19, -15, -5
R.ap W. Williams lost to W.E. Lamb +25, -4, -25
M. Ranshaw lost to A. Linton -7, -1T
D.R. Appleton beat D.W. Trotman +23, +6
D. Warhurst lost to A. Locket -1T, -9
F. Mann drew with G. Chamberlin -1T, +4T

1995:     Doubles: 
D.R. Appleton & R.ap W. Williams lost to A. Linton & G. Bennett +13, -8, -8
J. Surgenor & T. Brightman beat D.W. Trotman & H. Taylor +22, +6
C. Dinwoodie & A. Campbell drew with D. Harrison-Wood & A. Locket +23, -2T
J. Surgenor beat D. Harrison-Wood -1, +12, +25
D.R. Appleton lost to A. Linton -24, -25
R.ap W. Williams lost to H. Taylor -5, -24
C. Dinwoodie lost to G. Bennett +4, -11, -4
A. Campbell beat D.W. Trotman +21, +19
T. Brightman beat A. Locket +19, +5

1996:     Singles:
John Surgenor beat Alan Linton 2-1
Malcolm O’Connell beat Brian Thompson 2-0
Rod Williams beat Gail Curry 2-0
Andy Campbell lost to Chris Dent 0-2
Brian Murdoch beat Derek Trotman 2-0

1997:     No records have been found
SCA lost 3½-5½ at Bowdon

1998:    Singles:
Malcolm O’Connell lost to Alan Linton 0-2
John Surgenor beat Chris Dent 2 (1 tp) -1
Andy Campbell lost to Martin Granger-Brown 0-2
Brian Durward lost to Roy Edwards 1-2
Brian Murdoch drew with Ken Cooper 1-1

1999:     Doubles:
Malcolm O’Connell & Gordon Hopewell beat Alan Linton & Ailsa Lines +26qp (O’C), -17, +10
John Surgenor & David Appleton lost to Ian Lines & Mike Hammelev -4, +25, -19
Rod Williams & Charlotte Townsend lost to James Hawkins & Bob Burnett +16, -16, -??
John Surgenor beat Alan Linton -16, +16, +9
Malcolm O’Connell beat Ian Lines +19, +26
Gordon Hopewell lost to James Hawkins -16, +10, -17
Rod Williams beat Mike Hammelev +2, +4
David Appleton beat Ailsa Lines +5, -16, +1T
Charlotte Townsend lost to Bob Burnett -13, -16

2000:   Doubles:
Jonathan Kirby & Brian Durward beat John Haslam & Bob Burnett -2, +14, +15
Brian Murdoch & David Appleton lost to Mike Hammelev & Barbara Haslam -17, -17
Gordon Hopewell & Jamieson Walker beat James Hawkins & Keith Roberts +10, +2
Gordon Hopewell lost to James Hawkins -4, +15, -23
Jonathan Kirby beat John Haslam +24, +23
Brian Murdoch drew with Mike Hammelev -17, +1T
David Appleton beat Bob Burnett +7, -12, +6
Brian Durward beat Barbara Haslam +11, +9T
Jamieson Walker lost to Keith Roberts -8, -1T

2001:    Doubles:
Jonathan Kirby & Stuart McKendrick beat John Haslam & Bob Burnett -17, +5, +12
Malcolm O’Connell & Brian Durward beat Dave Nick & Keith Roberts +23, +3
Rod Williams & Charlotte Townsend drew with James Hawkins & Ray Belcher -2, +7
Jonathan Kirby lost to Dave Nick -26, -3
Malcolm O’Connell beat James Hawkins +24, -26tp, +7
Rod Williams lost to Bob Burnett +23, -12, -13
Stuart McKendrick beat John Haslam -23, +9, +11
Brian Durward lost to Keith Roberts -8, -5
Charlotte Townsend beat Ray Belcher -2, +24, +9

2002:    Doubles:
Malcolm O’Connell & Brian Durward lost to Dave Kibble & Peter Wardle -18tp(K), -21tp(K)
Charlotte Townsend & Rod Williams beat Louise Bradforth & Ray Belcher -1T, +20, +17
Su Stenhouse & John Surgenor lost to Bob Burnett & Mark Miller -14, -16
Malcolm O’Connell lost to Dave Kibble -26, -25
John Surgenor beat Louise Bradforth +6, +5
Rod Williams beat Bob Burnett +8, -17, +14
Charlotte Townsend lost to Peter Wardle -20, +17, -25
Brian Durward lost to Mark Miller -1T, -5T
Su Stenhouse beat Ray Belcher +13, +26

2003:    Doubles: 
Chris Dent & Campbell Morrison beat Dave Nick & Abdul Ahmad +24tp(CMD), +3 Brian Murdoch & Fergus McInnes beat John Richardson & David Hutt +5, +6T
Tony Foster & Tony Brightman lost to Bob Burnett & Graham Whitehouse +11, -8, -1T
Chris Dent beat Bob Burnett +3tp, +4tp
Brian Murdoch lost to Dave Nick -21tp, -15tp
Tony Foster beat John Richardson -25, +17, +8
Fergus McInnes beat Abdul Ahmad +14, +18tp
Tony Brightman drew with David Hutt +12, -5
Campbell Morrison drew with Graham Whitehouse -23, +9

2004:    Doubles:
John Surgenor & Rod Williams lost to Bob Burnett & Peter Wardle -12, +19, -12
Bruce Rannie & Tony Foster beat John Haslam & Mark Miller +6, +1
Brian Murdoch & Fergus McInnes beat Dave Nick & Graham Whitehouse -10, -5
John Surgenor lost to Dave Nick +15, -26tp, -15
Bruce Rannie beat Bob Burnett +17, +2
Rod Williams beat John Haslam +2, -20, +7
Brian Murdoch lost to Peter Wardle -20, +2, -15
Tony Foster lost to Mark Miller beat -10, -4
Fergus McInnes lost to Graham Whitehouse +5, -25, -17

2005:    Doubles: 
Brian Murdoch & Fergus McInnes lost to Bob Burnett & Mark Miller -15, -14
Rod Williams & Charlotte Townsend lost to Keith Roberts & Peter Wardle +4T, -1T, -13T
Chris Dent & Jamieson Walker beat Graham Whitehouse & Ray Lowe -3, +4T, +2T
Chris Dent lost to Bob Burnett -11tp, -25
Tony Foster lost to Peter Wardle +15, -20, -6
Brian Murdoch lost to Mark Miller -15, +12, -6T
Fergus McInnes lost to Graham Whitehouse +13, -25, -3T
Bill Spalding lost to Keith Roberts -24, -10T
Jamieson Walker lost to Ray Lowe -9T, +3T, -15

2006:    Doubles: 
Bruce Rannie & David Appleton lost to Bob Burnett & Ray Lowe +14, -14, -6tp(RB)
Brian Murdoch & Fergus McInnes drew with Peter Wardle & Keith Roberts +3, -19T
David Magee & Alan Wilson beat Peter McDermott & Klim Seabright +5, +11
David Magee lost to Bob Burnett -20, -16
Bruce Rannie beat Peter Wardle +10, +11
Brian Murdoch lost to Peter McDermott -1, +15, -11T
Fergus McInnes lost to Ray Lowe -1T, -9T
David Appleton beat Klim Seabright -6, +20, +3
Alan Wilson lost to Keith Roberts -10T, -2T

2007:    A new format was introduced for this year's SCA-CA match, with the aim of giving more games per player against more varied opposition.  (The previous format of best-of-three doubles on day 1 and best-of-three singles on day 2 meant that each player met only one opponent in the singles and one pair in the doubles.  Also some Bo3 matches could be finished in straight games in three or four hours while others could go to a decider and take all day.) 
Each day's programme consisted of one round of doubles games followed by two-game or three-game singles matches, with opponents permuted so that each English player or doubles partnership encountered different members of the Scottish team on the two days.  The singles matches involving the top two in each team were best-of-three, while those lower in the rankings played just two games per match. 
There was some discussion about how to count the scores.  The eventual decision was that each best-of-three match would count for two points (regardless of whether the game score was 2-0 or 2-1) and each game outside the Bo3s would count for one point.

Day 1 Doubles:
Chris Dent & Fergus McInnes beat Ray Lowe & Graham Whitehouse +22tp(CMD)
Bruce Rannie & Jamieson Walker lost to Klim Seabright & Peter McDermott -8T
James Hopgood & Alan Wilson beat Bob Burnett & Keith Roberts +10T
Day 1 Singles:
Bruce Rannie beat Ray Lowe +26, -17, +25tp
Chris Dent beat Bob Burnett +26, +23
James Hopgood drew with Peter McDermott +14, -8
Fergus McInnes lost to Klim Seabright -20, -3
Alan Wilson lost to Graham Whitehouse -2T, -5
Jamieson Walker lost to Keith Roberts -8, -14
Day 2 Doubles:
Chris Dent & Fergus McInnes beat Bob Burnett & Keith Roberts +17
Bruce Rannie & Alan Wilson beat Ray Lowe & Graham Whitehouse +2T
Rod Williams & James Hopgood beat Klim Seabright & Peter McDermott +6
Day 2 Singles:
Bruce Rannie lost to Bob Burnett -8, -22
Chris Dent lost to Ray Lowe -4, -9
Rod Williams lost to Peter McDermott -23, -15
James Hopgood beat Klim Seabright +16, +16
Fergus McInnes lost to Graham Whitehouse -1T, -2T
Alan Wilson drew with Keith Roberts -6T, +5T

2008:   The daily schedule comprised one round of doubles followed by two rounds of singles; the plan was for the top two to play best-of-three in each day's singles, but the timing was such that this was not carried through.

Day 1 Doubles:
Bruce Rannie & Bill Spalding lost to Paul Rigge & Mark Miller -7
James Hopgood & Alan Wilson lost to Klim Seabright & Peter McDermott -3
Brian Murdoch & Fergus McInnes beat Ray Lowe & Keith Roberts +6T (20-14)
Day 1 Singles:
James Hopgood beat Ray Lowe +4T (22-18), +22
Bruce Rannie beat Paul Rigge +26, +22
Fergus McInnes beat Klim Seabright +19, +6T (21-15)
Brian Murdoch drew with Peter McDermott -5T, +7T (20-13)
Alan Wilson  lost to Mark Miller -6T, -26
Bill Spalding drew with Keith Roberts -3T (13-16), +1T (22-21)
Day 2 Doubles: 
Bruce Rannie & James Hopgood lost to Ray Lowe & Paul Rigge -1T (23-24)
Brian Murdoch & Fergus McInnes lost to Klim Seabright & Peter McDermott -2T (18-20)
Bill Spalding & Alan Wilson beat Mark Miller & Keith Roberts +2T (17-15)
Day 2 Singles:
Bruce Rannie lost to Ray Lowe -1T (19-20), -17
James Hopgood drew with Paul Rigge -4T, +1T (23-22)
Brian Murdoch beat Klim Seabright +18, +8T (22-14)
Fergus McInnes beat Peter McDermott +24, +16
Bill Spalding lost to Mark Miller -17, -16
Alan Wilson drew with Keith Roberts -9T (10-19), +2T (16-14)

2009:    Day 1 Doubles:
James Hopgood & Bill Spalding lost to Dave Nick & Phill Scarr -3
Fergus McInnes & Alan Wilson lost to Gail Curry & Mark Miller -5
Campbell Morrison & Jamieson Walker beat Ray Lowe & Keith Roberts +23
Day 1 Singles:
James Hopgood beat Gail Curry +13tpo, +14
Campbell Morrison beat Dave Nick +14, +26
Fergus McInnes lost to Mark Miller -5T (17-22), -6
Alan Wilson lost to Ray Lowe -13, -17
Bill Spalding lost to Phil Scarr -10, -26
Jamieson Walker lost to Keith Roberts -12, -14
Day 2 Doubles:
James Hopgood & Bill Spalding lost to Gail Curry & Mark Miller -16tp(GC)
Fergus McInnes & Alan Wilson lost to Ray Lowe & Keith Roberts -10
Campbell Morrison & Allan Hawke lost to Dave Nick & Phill Scarr -10
Day 2 Singles:
James Hopgood beat Dave Nick +11tp, +1
Campbell Morrison lost to Gail Curry -15, -26
Fergus McInnes drew with Ray Lowe -20, +5
Alan Wilson drew with Mark Miller +1T (12-11), -10
Bill Spalding drew with Keith Roberts +8T (22-14), -18
Allan Hawke lost to Phill Scarr -22, -19

2010:    Day 1 Doubles:
James Hopgood & Bill Spalding beat Charles Waterfield & Derek Watts +23qp(JRH)
Martin Stephenson & Fergus McInnes beat Peter McDermott & Phil Errington +1T
Brian Murdoch & Alan Wilson lost to Phill Scarr & Dennis Scarr -16
Day 1 Singles:
Martin Stephenson beat Charles Waterfield +6T
Brian Murdoch lost to Peter McDermott -2T
James Hopgood lost to Phill Scarr -17
Bill Spalding beat Phil Errington +11
Alan Wilson beat Derek Watts +2T
Fergus McInnes beat Dennis Scarr +10T
Brian Murdoch lost to Charles Waterfield -2T
James Hopgood beat Peter McDermott +19
Martin Stephenson lost to Phill Scarr -16
Fergus McInnes beat Phil Errington +10
Bill Spalding lost to Derek Watts -13T
Alan Wilson beat Dennis Scarr +22
Day 2 Doubles:
Brian Murdoch & Alan Wilson lost to Charles Waterfield & Derek Watts -2T
James Hopgood & Bill Spalding beat Peter McDermott & Phil Errington +24tp(JRH)
Martin Stephenson & Fergus McInnes lost to Phill Scarr & Dennis Scarr -4T
Day 2 Singles:
James Hopgood beat Charles Waterfield +9tp, +15tp
Martin Stephenson beat Peter McDermott +10, +8
Brian Murdoch lost to Phill Scarr -22, -14
Alan Wilson drew with Phil Errington -11T, +11T
Fergus McInnes lost to Derek Watts -15, -2
Bill Spalding drew with Dennis Scarr +14T, -2T

2011:     Doubles:
Campbell Morrison & Brian Murdoch lost to Jonathan Hills & Neil Kellett -6
Fergus McInnes & Alan Wilson lost to Phill Scarr & Derek Watts -13
Martin Stephenson & Hamish Duguid lost to Jack Wicks & Dennis Scarr -18
Campbell Morrison lost to Jonathan Hills -16
Brian Murdoch lost to Phill Scarr -10T
Martin Stephenson beat Jack Wicks +16tp
Fergus McInnes lost to Dennis Scarr -16
Alan Wilson beat Derek Watts +6tp
Hamish Duguid lost to Neil Kellett -7T
Campbell Morrison lost to Phill Scarr -26
Brian Murdoch lost to Jack Wicks -25tp
Martin Stephenson lost to Jonathan Hills -26tp
Fergus McInnes beat Neil Kellett +7
Alan Wilson lost to Dennis Scarr -1T
Hamish Duguid lost to Derek Watts -23
Campbell Morrison lost to Jack Wicks -6tp, -9tp
Brian Murdoch lost to Jonathan Hills -11, -15
Martin Stephenson drew with Phill Scarr -6T, +5tp
Fergus McInnes lost to Derek Watts -19, -5
Alan Wilson beat Neil Kellett +16, +7
Hamish Duguid lost to Dennis Scarr -24, -22

2012:    Doubles:
Fergus McInnes & Hamish Duguid lost to Phill Scarr & Andrew Killick -21
Brian Murdoch & Derek Knight beat Charles Waterfield & Roger Staples +1T
Alan Wilson & Joe Lennon lost to Peter Thompson & Phil Errington -11
Derek Knight lost to Phill Scarr -12
Alan Wilson lost to Charles Waterfield -25
Brian Murdoch beat Peter Thompson +17
Joe Lennon lost to Phil Errington -15
Fergus McInnes lost to Roger Staples -3
Hamish Duguid lost to Andrew Killick -15
Alan Wilson lost to Phill Scarr -8
Brian Murdoch beat Charles Waterfield +5
Derek Knight lost to Peter Thompson -14
Hamish Duguid lost to Phil Errington -26
Joe Lennon lost to Roger Staples -10
Fergus McInnes lost to Andrew Killick 9
Fergus McInnes beat Phill Scarr +5
Hamish Duguid lost to Charles Waterfield -20
Joe Lennon lost to Peter Thompson -10
Brian Murdoch lost to Phil Errington -10
Derek Knight lost to Roger Staples -8
Alan Wilson lost to Andrew Killick -25
Brian Murdoch lost to Phill Scarr -17tp
Derek Knight beat Charles Waterfield +9
Alan Wilson lost to Peter Thompson -6
Fergus McInnes lost to Phil Errington -9
Hamish Duguid lost to Roger Staples -17
Joe Lennon lost to Andrew Killick -16